Valued Contributor

Question about Oxo salad spinner

[ Edited ]

I have an old Prepology salad spinner from QVC that's battery operated. Hadn't used it for quite a while, but since I was getting tired of trying to dry my lettuce with either paper towels or dish towels, I decided to get it back out and try it again. I remembered it as not doing a very good job at drying, and it turns out, my memory was correct. It did an OK job, but not as good as I'd like. Am wondering if the Oxo Good Grips salad spinner might do a better job. I've seen a lot of positive reviews, but of course, some negative. Could any of you who own this tell me how effective it is at getting the salad fixings really dry. Oh, and what I'd really like to know about are the newer ones, rather than ones made years ago, because let's face it, things made years ago were made better than they're made now. Thanks!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Question about Oxo salad spinner

@qualityshopper .  Mine never got the lettuce dry. I always thought it was just me, but I could never get it dry.

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper  If you have not already done so, I strongly recommend that you check out the reviews on YouTube.  At least this way you can see the product in action as well as reviews done by ordinary folks.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think any of the spinners completely dry the lettuce and other veggies, but are just supposed to make them more ready to be tossed as a salad without the hassle of using paper towels.  OXO products are generally acceptably adequate to very good, so I would think it would be a reliable spinner.  

Esteemed Contributor

@qualityshopper 

IMO the Oxo spinner is probably the very best.  I than do transfer all my lettuce to a lock & lock with a paper towel on the bottom and top for extra crisping and  a much longer life time.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

No clue here which model you're considering but I had an OXO that you pumped a piece in the middle up and down. I tossed it out because it was tough on my arm. I'm back to using a very old one with a good sized knob that you spin around that makes the salad holder inside spin just because it easier for me to use. On the lid it says Triumph. Neither gets the salad completely dry but the Triumph one does a better job. Maybe because I can get it spinning faster. Of course I open and empty the water then do a little tossing then respin, I do that a few times. I still dab the salad with paper towels a little bit. I also do as hopi does, transfer it to a container w/a piece of paper towel in the bottom.

Respected Contributor

@qualityshopper  If it were possible, I'd give you my Oxo salad spinner that was purchased in the good old days.  Never used it much and it's taking up valuable room.

Esteemed Contributor

I have two sizes of the OXO salad spinner and use them almost every day. The key to getting the lettuce dry is to not overfill the bowl. Make sure it has room to spin. I have to admit that I have a 50/50 chance of overfilling the bowl but in my experience....fill the bowl up about 75-80%. You should be fine.

I use mine as well to rinse tomatoes, drain olives, etc. I can't imagine not having one.  

Respected Contributor

I have the OXO that you pump the top. I usually pump it until it is spinning fast then slide the little lock in and it will continue to spin on its own. I empty the water and do it again. This is usually enough to dry the lettuce. 

Honored Contributor

I love, love, LOVE my Oxo spinner.  It's important to shake the lettuce around after each spin.  I then leave it in the basket on the counter or fridge to finish drying up.

~ house cat ~