Frequent Contributor

Question about Boxed quick breads and muffin mixes

Hello ev1.

I really need advice. I want to make a Pillsb**y banana quick bread but I don't want it dry.

I noticed in reading directions, that for the bread version it calls for a cup of water, but the muffin version calls for milk. Also, bread calls for 1/4 cup oil, V 1/2 cup for the muffins.

Can I use the milk and oil version for the bread to make it more moist. I tried doing a search, but couldn't find a good answer.

I would really appreciate your advice and opinion.

Thanks~~Smile

Regular Contributor

Re: Question about Boxed quick breads and muffin mixes

Shearbear- the milk in the muffin version is to make it more tender- and in my experience would make it too fragile to hold together as bread.

My go to to increase moisture in quick bread and brownie mixes is to add an extra tablespoon or two of oil. Or a bit of greek yogurt. You can also swirl in the cream cheese mixture used in black bottom cupcakes right before baking the bread.

I also replace 1/2 of the water for quickbreads with rum for banana bread, oj concentrate for cranberry bread, apple juice for blueberry. etc.

Hope your bread turns out great, Rose

Honored Contributor

I used to make those breads all the time, and did not find them dry when I followed the directions as listed on the box.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you very much for your replies.

I will maybe try adding a little more oil.

Honored Contributor

Try it and see. I added buttermilk to a buttermilk pancake mix that said to use water and they were probably the best pancakes I ever made from a box. They were fluffy and light and really tasted like buttermilk. The key is NOT to over mix.

Esteemed Contributor

Might try adding 1/4 cup applesauce, if you have some at hand.

Honored Contributor

use yogurt instead of milk

♥Surface of the Sun♥