Regular Contributor

Never used my small one yet.  Was wondering when you make a pot roast, how do you incorporate carrots and potatoes to pot without getting mushy.  TIA

Honored Contributor

I cook the roast with a package of gravy mix. I remove the roast and add vegetables  and cook for about 8 minutes. I let the roast rest and then slice. After vegetables cook- add them to a serving dish. Then cover roast slices with some of the gravy. Enjoy. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@Mom in NY wrote:

Never used my small one yet.  Was wondering when you make a pot roast, how do you incorporate carrots and potatoes to pot without getting mushy.  TIA

@Mom in NY.  There are thousands of pressure cooker recipes on the internet.  The smart thing to do is search for something like "pressure cooker beef stew" and get the timing and technique that way.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I stop the pressure cooker and add the vegetables and set for another 5-6 minutes.That should be an appropriate time to finish the veggies so they won't mush on you. Sometimes it takes a little experimenting , but start like I said for another 4-5 minutes. It works for me. Happy Eating !! Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

Re: Pressure Cooking

[ Edited ]

Yes, what Becca Lou saidCat Very Happy

Or sometimes I do them separate In the Little PC

Respected Contributor

@Mom in NY   I brown the roast first and then cook it by itself in the proper amount of liquid recommended by the manufacturer.  Then I do a quick release and remove the roast to a platter, leaving the liquid in the cooker.  

I put my cut up vegetables in the cooker and set for five minutes and do a quick release.  Depending on the size of your vegetables they should be done without getting overly mushy.

I then put the gravy in a saucepan on the stove and do my normal procedure of thickening the gravy.

Sounds perfect for this all day rainy Sunday.

After some trial and error you'll be fine.  Pot toast is so good and quick in a pressure cooker.

Honored Contributor

I roast the spuds and carrots by themselves. Just made a really wonderful pot roast in my Instant Pot with great success but left out the veggies. I do miss the way the carrots su*ck up that good meat juice tho. 

Honored Contributor

I have the little three quart and the six quart.  If I'm lazy or in a hurry I throw roast, potatoes (whole) and carrots whole or chopped in two to fit, onions halved or quartered, gravy mix and water or tomatoes and juice all in and let it go!

I don't care if the veggies are a little mushy sometimes.  It's all supper and it is all good IF you start with a good roast! Sometimes I throw in sweet potatoes!