Respected Contributor

Yesterday I did a baking demo at the Senior Center. I made cookies. When I was finished baking, I cut off the oven. Before leaving, I checked the oven, then had someone else check it. I always do this, so I don't worry about it.

Well, the Senior Center was getting a new ice machine and the tech. told me this story. He was working on a ice machine in a very old church. The ice scoop was stored in the cabinet over the wall oven. The scoop was very warm, so he looked at the oven and it was on. He told the office staff about the oven being on and they said no one had used it in 2 weeks, since Christmas. So, it had been on all this time, glad he found this potential fire hazard.

Honored Contributor
Check.....Check and Recheck!!!! Scary story! Good for you, Barbarainnc, to always double check. I do that too....better safe than sorry. Sometimes at home if DH and I are leaving the house I tell him when I have unplugged or turned off something or have him recheck. That way we don't get down the road and have to turn around.
Trusted Contributor

Aways check and double-check.

It struck me funny that you, Barbarainnc, were doing a cookie baking demo at the Senior Center as I would think that the seniors are very adept at baking cookies. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Respected Contributor
I did it as a program for AARP.