Occasional Contributor

Garage sell new QVC lock and locks and pans etc

Help, 72 years old going through a divorce, addict to QVC for 28 years, lock and lock and kitchen stuff sooooo much in my enclosed patio and garage some new never opened , my son is helping me get this ready for a garage sell,he says mother this is going to take months, you have to get rid of it .Cookbooks like 200 how do I know what to charge for new lock and lock,who box of new cooks esential pots and pans still in the box, I am also horrifiedI love my stuff making me sick to part with it how much to sell lock and lock and new pans also in boxes and found a George forman never opened , my son does not want anything I have gicven my him so much in the past, he say noooo more Keeping my jewelry ,Birkis and Rikis and all my clothes, Denium and company and Dooney purses and Vera Bradley not selling I am a pack rat and addicted to QVC Help

Honored Contributor

Re: Garage sell new QVC lock and locks and pans etc

My suggestion is to look online and get an idea of what similar pieces are selling for now, and then price accordingly. I'm sure you will be able to recoup some of your money, but my experience has been that most people expect you to essentially give them the items for a little of nothing. If you are lucky, some of your customers will be cookbook collectors, or someone who lost out on getting a certain piece of Lock and Lock, who will be thrilled to find what you have. Best wishes to you with selling your collection.
Frequent Contributor

I do not know your financial or tax situation but you might possibly be better off donating the items rather than selling them for pennies on the dollar. Only if you can itemize deductions, obviously. And to echo Redtop, Best Wishes.

Honored Contributor

I think that's the longest sentence I've ever seen! Smiley Happy

Anyway, sounds like you're on the right track. Might as well recover some of the money spent and just learn from it. But, do know that a lot of the people who come to yard sales want to give you a dime or a quarter for everything. If you can just let it go like that, then at least it will be gone and you'll have your space back.

Or, you could just round it all up and donate it to a place that helps people who NEED things (as opposed to places that sell it) and get a receipt for your taxes next year.

Honored Contributor

there are several sites on facebook.....qvc buy and sell, hsn buy and sell, and shopping channel buy and sell. they are places where you can put your items for free to advertise. buyers use paypal. if you are on facebook you may want to check out those groups. lots of great deals to be had.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

chickenbutt - LOL that's a great one. There was a COMMA or two! (but I too am out of breath - no period to land on)

Super Contributor

I think donating them is your best bet. Getting a tax writeoff is much better than selling those items for 25 cents. Gifting them to people who need these items is another way to go. Garage sales are lots of work for not much money. Last year I gave lots of items to Goodwill and even donated a car to Make a Wish foundation. I didn't want strange people coming to my home so safety too was a factor.

Trusted Contributor

I'm sorry you're finding it painful to let go of your stuff.......but it sounds like it's past time to come to terms with the clutter and wasteful spending and to get your patio, garage, and your life back in order! It's so easy to become addicted to shopping, and TV shopping makes it so alluring and so easy. Especially during times when other areas of our lives seem empty and unsatisfying, acquiring stuff, stuff, and more stuff can seem to make us feel better in the short term......but what a shame to find boxes and boxes of expensive things you've never used, needed, or even opened. Time for some changes, and as hard as it is to get started, you'll feel much better when the clutter (and your mind and life) are cleared, and you can make a fresh new start with less baggage in tow.

A yard sale is a lot of hard work and hassle, and you have to sit in the midst of your stuff and watch it dickered over piece by piece. Really hard. I'd suggest you and your son look around your community for services or organizations that may come in and price your stuff to purchase it. There are organizations that help seniors clean out their homes in preparation for a move or other big life event. Friends of ours recently used an outfit here in metro Atlanta called Greer-Harrison estate management for seniors. They came in and separated out stuff to be moved, sold, donated, etc., and packed it all up and coordinated moving it to its next destination. The last time we moved, we found a local flea market whose buyers came out and paid us for items they could sell in their market. Then we donated a lot of other items to Goodwill and took some to the city dump. You won't get a lot for most of what you sell, but something is better than nothing, and they will help you go through it and move some out for you.

It's kind of ironic, but your nic, "Trappy", sort of describes your situation; you've become trapped by an out-of-control shopping addiction and the waste and clutter that follow. Trust me, once you accept what you need to do, open your tightly clenched hands, and LET GO, you'll feel so much better and freer. But you can't be in the midst of things saying you need to let go, but continuing to hold on! If you're really finding this too hard, leave the premises and let your son handle it for you.