Honored Contributor

Pot Roast Pros... advice please.

I have a 3.3 lb chuck roast.

I'd like to cook it in my oven, low and slow until it's falling apart.

I have a LeCreuset Dutch oven.

Can someone tell me what to do to get those results?  

I have very little experience with beef.

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pot Roast Pros... advice please.

I would roast that in a slow cooker ( thus getting the results you are looking for)  on low at least 8 hours.  You can put the vegetables in with it.   Yum!!  Sounds good, what time is dinner???  LOL   Not sure about the oven method, sorry.

Honored Contributor

I'd like to hear more replies too.  I'm sure by cooking it in a slow cooker for many hours you get good results.  

Honored Contributor

I'd put it in a dutch oven that is not too big for it so the liquid won't boil away, maybe some diced tomatoes and beef broth?  The liquid should nearly come up to the top of the roast.

You can add onions, celery and some spices you like for flavoring or poke a few holes in the roast and put in slivers of garlic.

Roast at 250 degrees for 8 to 12 hours.   Check liquid occasionally.  Don't let it boil away.  Roast should pull apart ad 195 to 205 degrees.  It varies.  Check with a fork during after 8 hours, then occasionally to see if it is where you want it.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always make my pot roast in my Le Cruset,  I put the roast in the pan and add about 2 cups of beef broth, then I put my potatoes and carrots around the meat and sprinkle Lipton dry onion soup mix all over the meat and veggies I usually use two soup packets.  Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 3 hrs.  My roasts are always so tender.  This was my mom's recipe that I grew up on.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal

Thank you.  The info I found online says it will take about

2 1/2 hours at 350°... so that means dinner will be around 5 o'clock.  I like to eat early on Sunday so I can clean up and have a relaxing evening.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

I'd put it in a dutch oven that is not too big for it so the liquid won't boil away, maybe some diced tomatoes and beef broth?  The liquid should nearly come up to the top of the roast.

You can add onions, celery and some spices you like for flavoring or poke a few holes in the roast and put in slivers of garlic.

Roast at 250 degrees for 8 to 12 hours.   Check liquid occasionally.  Don't let it boil away.  Roast should pull apart ad 195 to 205 degrees.  It varies.  Check with a fork during after 8 hours, then occasionally to see if it is where you want it.  

Thank you, Sooner!  I'm assuming you've used this method?  It's a rare day that I can be home with it for 8 hours, so I'm going to try it.  Also, at what point in the process would you add carrots and potatoes?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Thank you, Sooner!  I'm assuming you've used this method?  It's a rare day that I can be home with it for 8 hours, so I'm going to try it.  Also, at what point in the process would you add carrots and potatoes?

@house_cat  I'm not sure when I'd add carrots.  I do know that brisket cooked in a bbq smoker cooks at 225 all day and if you want pork butt or brisket to pull you'd want it to be more than 190 degrees, because it will still slice at that point usually.  BUT every eat is different.

I also have a recipe for chuck or arm roast that is 3.5 to 4 pounds and it cooks 8 to 12 hours at 250 in liquid.  It falls apart and shreds when cooked this way.   I don't  use potatoes and carrots in this one. If you wnat to do that, they dry cook at the 350 degrees.  It may or may not fall apart. . . It's hard to judge today because you see so much variety of beef in the market.

Go on some good government and university websites to get some information on what to look for in beef and how the USDA grading system works.  It makes a huge diffeence if you know how to judge what you see in the cases now.  You can get some really good products and really bad ones--and pay the same money.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Get it on now if you want it for tonight. Put it in at 300 with your liquid, veggies, and roast. Sear the roast first deglaze with some of your liquid (red wine, white wine, broth, etc) once done, putt he roast back in and surround with veggies. Bake at 300 till supper time. Try not to peek, but nearer the end dot some butter around. You can take the lid off for the last 30 to 45 minutes to thicken the sauce/gravy if you like. I love mushrooms in mine. Fresh mushroom let go of a bunch of moisture, so I don't use lots of broth/wine. I also use a bit of cornstarch to thicken it or you could flour and season your roast before your sear it, then it will thicken from the flour as it cooks.

Valued Contributor

@house_cat I use to make pot roast like this all the time. Here’s what I did. Sauté onions and carrots in some oil. Add roast and brown on all sides. Add some beef broth to deglaze bits on bottom.  Then cover meat half way with beef broth.  Oven on 275. It should take approximately 3 hours. After an hour and a half I added potatoes as well. Check meat for tenderness. 

Notes: Use seasoning of your choice on meat. I even added red wine sometimes. Also i turned the roast during roasting. Enjoy!

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"