Super Contributor
On 2/22/2014 skuggles said:

rondell, I've been doing this for a few years now ... portion control. I don't deny myself anything as long as the portion is within "portion size" as a recommended daily allowance. You can learn the portion sizes of common foods and use that. I do cheat now and then. I have lost 45 pounds and dropped 4 sizes. It works. I occasionally hit a plateau with the weight loss. As I got smaller the loss kind of slowed down. Now I think I'm at a good weight, but will continue with the portion control and sharply reducing white or refined carbs. I also exercise daily.

Congratulations! The non-denial of anything is what I'm after. Eventually, I hope to be able to have a little piece of cake or a small slice of pie, once or ten times a year, like for a birthday or holiday. But this way, I'll stick with a good eating plan for life.

The white is definitely out for us right now! It really makes a difference in how you feel. At least that's my experience.

Super Contributor
On 2/22/2014 happy housewife said: Since i am limiting my fat intake to only 40 gm a day I have to eat much smaller portions. I measure everything - 1 cup of cheerios and i cup of 2% milk are 5 gms of fat. I add some honey - that's a freebee for me. So I do agree with you that portion control is important. My class puts a lot of empahsis on not depriving yourself of anything but eating it in smaller amounts. It is working for me - and I'm glad it is working for you. i wish i was down to only 3 # left to lose !!!

You'll make it to those last 3 pounds, happy! I know you will if you just stay with it. I thought I'd never make it, but I'm almost there.

Measuring cups.....great idea! I'll try that one, too. It can't hurt.

Respected Contributor
On 2/22/2014 rondell said:

rondell, I've been doing this for a few years now ... portion control. I don't deny myself anything as long as the portion is within "portion size" as a recommended daily allowance. You can learn the portion sizes of common foods and use that. I do cheat now and then. I have lost 45 pounds and dropped 4 sizes. It works. I occasionally hit a plateau with the weight loss. As I got smaller the loss kind of slowed down. Now I think I'm at a good weight, but will continue with the portion control and sharply reducing white or refined carbs. I also exercise daily.

Congratulations! The non-denial of anything is what I'm after. Eventually, I hope to be able to have a little piece of cake or a small slice of pie, once or ten times a year, like for a birthday or holiday. But this way, I'll stick with a good eating plan for life.

The white is definitely out for us right now! It really makes a difference in how you feel. At least that's my experience.

I eat a sweet daily, a very small portion compared to what Americans think of when they portion desserts. You can have it, just RDA portions.

Super Contributor

I eat a sweet daily, a very small portion compared to what Americans think of when they portion desserts. You can have it, just RDA portions.

Isn't that the truth? I'm so guilty it's pathetic. DH and I met a fellow in our church who was a French pastry chef for years. You can't believe how small their portion sizes are. It's like a few bites compared to our sizes. I was amazed when he shared that information. He said the French are able to keep their weight down because they eat such small amounts of food, along with good red wine which is really good for you. We don't drink wine or any alcohol for that matter, but the desserts were literally just a few bites......and that is their normal size.

Respected Contributor

I cut out alcohol almost completely. Why use up calories on this when you can have sweets?

Super Contributor

I cut out alcohol almost completely. Why use up calories on this when you can have sweets?

Excellent strategy! ITA!

Super Contributor
On 2/22/2014 chessylady said: Put your fork down and take a sip of water after each bite. This is pretty hard to do.

Doesn't all that water just give you the runs?

I'd rather have a glass of wine than a dessert.

Super Contributor
On 2/22/2014 ennui1 said:
On 2/22/2014 chessylady said: Put your fork down and take a sip of water after each bite. This is pretty hard to do.

Doesn't all that water just give you the runs?

I'd rather have a glass of wine than a dessert.

Hi ennui1. The French do both from what I was told. They just don't eat a lot of it.

Honored Contributor
On 2/22/2014 happy housewife said: Since i am limiting my fat intake to only 40 gm a day I have to eat much smaller portions. I measure everything - 1 cup of cheerios and i cup of 2% milk are 5 gms of fat. I add some honey - that's a freebee for me. So I do agree with you that portion control is important. My class puts a lot of empahsis on not depriving yourself of anything but eating it in smaller amounts. It is working for me - and I'm glad it is working for you. i wish i was down to only 3 # left to lose !!!

You'll make it to those last 3 pounds, happy! I know you will if you just stay with it. I thought I'd never make it, but I'm almost there.

the other day DH wanted a hamburger so i bought a # of ground round - 92% fat free - and made that pound into 3 burgers, then split one in half so we had 2 small one and 2 large ones. We had burgers 2 nights from one # of ground meat. There is also an economy factor in eating small portions. We went to an italian restaurant last night and I had spaghetti with marinara sauce - ate half and brought half home for tonight.I'm eating my other half tonight and DH is having left over ham and bean soup. This is working out well!
Super Contributor
On 2/22/2014 happy housewife said:

the other day DH wanted a hamburger so i bought a # of ground round - 92% fat free - and made that pound into 3 burgers, then split one in half so we had 2 small one and 2 large ones. We had burgers 2 nights from one # of ground meat. There is also an economy factor in eating small portions. We went to an italian restaurant last night and I had spaghetti with marinara sauce - ate half and brought half home for tonight.I'm eating my other half tonight and DH is having left over ham and bean soup. This is working out well!

It is for me, too. I know what you mean about the economy factor. This is kind of a weird comment, but I even have less trash than I used to. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} I find that I shop differently as well. I only shop the outer isles and avoid the inner isles where most of the bad stuff is located.

Isn't it amazing how much food you get in a restaurant? We always bring home a doggy bag for the next day.