Respected Contributor

Plumbing Problem or Dishwasher Problem?

Have you ever had water settle at the bottom of your dishwasher?

Every morning when I go in the kitchen to empty the dishwasher, there's water sitting in the bottom.

Is that a plumbing problem or do I need a new dishwasher?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Re: Plumbing Problem or Dishwasher Problem?

@RinaRina 

It may be a clogged filter.  Mine has one in the bottom that I clean and rinse out occasionally.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

Also make sure that the cycle is completely running,  I was having that problem for awhile and noticed that my cycle was not running till the end.

I don't know what that's about. The problem eventually went away. 

Respected Contributor

Google water in bottom of dishwasher. There are many things you can try yourself before you call a plumber.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's some things to try yourself.  If these don't work, call an appliance repair person.  It may be a broken pump. https://www.ahs.com/home-matters/repair-maintenance/how-to-fix-a-dishwasher-that-is-not-draining/

Contributor

I had that happen with our Samsung dishwasher.  I looked on internet for my make and model and saw that this little rubber piece that kept the water from coming back into the dishwasher fro the line had worn out  Bought a new replacement piece and put it in ourselves and that stopped the problem.  Look up your make and model dishwasher and see if there are any known issues with that happening.  Hope you have as good of luck as we did in solving the problem.

Respected Contributor

I just found this on google:  "How much water should there be? Anywhere around 1 cup of water leftover after a cycle is normal. It's there to keep the seals from drying up and your dishwasher will pump it out immediately before you get started on a new load."

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

I just found this on google:  "How much water should there be? Anywhere around 1 cup of water leftover after a cycle is normal. It's there to keep the seals from drying up and your dishwasher will pump it out immediately before you get started on a new load."

Good reason to wash dishes frequently! 

Respected Contributor

I had this problem last year. My dishwasher was just under 3 years old. It was way more than a cup of water in the dishwasher after running the entire cycle. I made the mistake of calling a plumber. Paid $125 for him to tell me that it was a bad water pump and I would have to call an appliance repair person. He also said that there was a problem of getting these parts. After getting a quote for a water pump replacement and being told that there might be more problems I opted to buy a new dishwasher. Good luck getting a dishwasher. Mine took 4 weeks to come in. I wanted a Bosch but I was told that it would be at least 16 weeks to come in so I went with a GE.    

Trusted Contributor

@50Mickey  I don't blame you for being miffed at the plumber. If you explained the dishwasher problem when you called them they would have known it wasn't a plumbing problem, they should have been honest with you and told you to call appliance repair instead. They took advantage of you and that's really wrong. Easy money for doing nothing.