Respected Contributor

Farm Fresh don't have to be refrigerated if you use them with in 2 weeks time, thats what I was told . But once refrigerated they must remain refrigerated.

Honored Contributor

Re: Pickle Relish

[ Edited ]

I don't refrigerate pickles or pickle relish but I buy small containers and don't keep them long before consuming.  I have kept eggs out of the fridge as long as a week in winter in the garage where it's very cool.  They're fine when I eat them.  I have a shortage of refrigerator space.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

refrigerate ---- no brainer

Respected Contributor

Re: Pickle Relish

[ Edited ]

I always refrigerate pickle relish, probably because I donot eatit very fast..Dill pickles too, though i do not know why,they sell them in barrels at room tmperature in stores, and have for centuries..Isnt that why "pickling" evolved? to PRESERVE foods before there was refrigeration?

I do not refrigerate ketchup, never have, and neither did my parents..I know  I am in the minority here, but  I DO use it up quickly..

And while I do not refrigerate yellow mustard I DO refrigerate honey mustard and Dijon mustard....weird, huh?

Eggs? My dad, who grew up in a rural setting, and raised his own chickens, swore we didnt need to, and would always try to leave them in a wire basket on the counter..Mom said we did..So our eggs were refrigerated, and so are mine, today!

Honored Contributor

We store them all in the refrigerator, but I've let ketchup sit on the counter with no problems.

Honored Contributor

In diners - mustard, ketchup are left on tableops but I'm sure they get used up quickly. I do keep my mustard and ketchup in the fridge. 

I owuld put the relish in the fridge but I wonder....bc of the pickling process and I've seen them also sold in barrels at room temp. Maybe they can be out for a while but not a very long extensive amount of time (months?)

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I am confused.

I have a bottle of Heinz Pickle Relish. On the bottle it states "refrigerate after opening".

I recently bought a bottle of B&G Pickle Relish. On the bottle it states "For best results, chill this relish before serving". No other mention of refrigeration between use.

I just read an article that said pickles, ketchup and eggs do not need to refrigerated.

I have always refrigerated pickles, pickle relish, ketchup and eggs. I am no sure I could not refrigerate them. Has anyone not refrigerated them? 

This means after you bring it home from the store shelf, it will taste better , if it is chilled before serving.After things are opened I would keep them in the refrigerator. I keep all of the above refrigerated.

Esteemed Contributor

It's so easy to open a refrigerator door..... I play safe and put all those items inside.

Esteemed Contributor

I stopped refrigerating ketchup 30 years ago.  I don't think we use it up all that quickly, but we've never had a problem.  I detest cold ketchup.

Esteemed Contributor

If the jar/bottle says "refrigerate after opening", I refrigerate. If the label doesn't recommend refrigeration then I don't worry about it. I can't imagine not refrigerating eggs. One thing that I no longer refrigerate is pancake syriup....the labels state that no refrigeration is required after opening. Honey never gets refrigerated - it lasts forever!