Honored Contributor

Don't call an exterminator! If you don't find where they're coming from you won't get rid of them! I had pantry moths in the pantry of my old house. I went through everything with a fine tooth comb. I eventually found where they were coming from and disposed of that item. Boom! No more moths! My pantry was cleaned out and looked fabulous after that!

"Pure Michigan"
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for this post!

I wanted to add that whole, dried chiles also are home for these

pantry moths or other insects.

I learned the hard way.  Costco sells wonderful, whole dried chiles around this time of year in our area.

They come in a large bag, and I used to stock up.  But then I read that keeping them on hand isn't wise due to these moths.

Sure enough:  I checked my rolled  up large bags, and out flew a couple of moths!!

Like others, I cleaned out my pantry closet, and I only buy chiles in small bags that I will use right away.

Valued Contributor

Re: Pantry Moths

[ Edited ]

Not sure if this is want I had. I had to throw everything away in my pantry. Didn’t have a problem in an other parts of the house. The only things I kept were things that had never been opened. I had to wipe everything down. They got into the grooves of bottles and cans. Now I store everything in lock and lock. It took me a few months to get rid of em! Good luck 

Regular Contributor

I had the black looking gnats that loved the pantry several years ago. I was very thankful when L&L came up. I now store all my box foods in them. Sugar, flour, dry beans, rice, coffee, snacks, popcorn etc in them. I am now gnat/ant free. My motto is - if it's not in a can, goes into the fridge or freezer it goes in Lock & Lock!

I sent this message from the last living brain cell I have.
Respected Contributor

The traps from Amazon work wonderfully. They attract and trap the male moth and without the males, the females can no longer breed. It will take a few days but they will be gone.

In the meantime, you have to throw out anything they may have infested and you will have to vacuum up a lot of moths! Don't forget to empty the vacuum each time and take the bag immediately out to the trash.

I got pantry moths from birdseed. I now store it outside in a metal can.

Respected Contributor

Re: Pantry MothsThis is why

[ Edited ]

This is why I keep my flours in the freezer..The eggs cannot hatch at 0 degrees, Also, those sticky Pantry Pest Traps  with the pheromone bait  are available at Home Depot...