Super Contributor

Re: PRESSURE COOKER RECOMMENDATION NEEDED

An Instant Pot, no question about it. Why? The Facebook group, "Instant Pot Community" has almost 2 million, yes million members. That ought to tell you something about the quality of the product and its appeal. 

Valued Contributor

I would also recommend the Instant Pot. I like it because it  has a stainless steel interior pot and clean up is a brreze. I still have my stove top pressure cooker that I have had over 25 years, but I like the IP because it don't have to keep an eye on it. It works as good as my stove top pressure cooker. 

Occasional Contributor

I have used pressure cookers for over 40 years of various types, makes and sizes. And yes, I've eve exploded one or two of the stove top units. I currently have 6 electric units, all of which I use and appreciate. I have two 8 quart units. My Elite round 8 quart continues to serve me well; however, my all time favorite is my recent purchase of a new 8 quart unit. An oval, Geek Chef 11 in 1 purchased from HSN. I deviated from my usual stainless and purchased this one in red. The pulled it out of the box and the color was beautiful. The first meal I made was chicken alfredo. The browning function came up to temp in under 3 minutes. The entire bottom of the insert heated allowing for beautiful browning of the chicken. I added the rest of the ingredients, including dry linguine (didn't have to break it - love that), put the lid on and effortlessly closed it with a simple turn of the top handle. I nicknamed him Mad Max - he came up to pressure in 6 minutes! Within 10 minutes the alfredo was done, pasta was perfect, nor did the cream sauce / cheese stick to the insert pot. The handles on the insert make it super easy to remove from the base as well. I've made bourbon molasses baked beans, one pot spaghetti and meatballs, stuffed pork chops, beef stroganoff, rice and potatoes - all came out perfect! I LOVE this unit...and I am picky! HSN carries the Geek Chef oval at a price less than anywhere else I've found it - in fact, it's now $30 less than I paid for it! LOL! The link is highlighted below. It lives up to the video and then some. https://www.hsn.com/products/geek-chef-8-quart-1300-watt-11-in-1-electric-pressure-c/8737031 The best to you on your new purchase!
Super Contributor

Before you purchase the Ninja Foodi, may sure you're willing to give up the counter space it will need. It's a big honking machine. Maybe you don't want to keep it on your counter. That's fine, but know it's very heavy.

Honored Contributor

My post isn't about a recommendation but it's about the lids on pressure cookers. 

When mine gets really messy with food, especially in and around the gasket, I take the lid (gasket and all) and put it in my dishwasher. Take it out to air dry, comes out like new. 

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

My post isn't about a recommendation but it's about the lids on pressure cookers. 

When mine gets really messy with food, especially in and around the gasket, I take the lid (gasket and all) and put it in my dishwasher. Take it out to air dry, comes out like new. 

The one thing I hate about the IP is removing and replacing that darned gasket each time I use the machine. I was wondering if I could just put the lid in the dishwasher. 

Honored Contributor

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

The one thing I hate about the IP is removing and replacing that darned gasket each time I use the machine. I was wondering if I could just put the lid in the dishwasher. 

@Eager2Learn 

I don't even remove the gasket. I just leave it in place and stick the lid in the dishwasher.

Occasional Contributor

If you are still looking for an oval pressure cooker, I recently purchased the Geek Chef 8 qt. Oval pressure cooker from HSN. I also have a 6 qt. And 3 qt. Instant Pot. I use all of them and am really happy with them. The only downside with the oval one is that it is heavier than the instant pot.

Respected Contributor

@WORKING GAL wrote:

I had an 8 qt. CE Technique oval pressure cooker for many years from QVC.  The non-stick is not looking good and I think it's time to replace.  I can't find an oval one anywhere.  I saw the Nuwave 8 qt. today on Mary's show and am thinking about it as the price is good.

But I am torn whether to go with the Nuwave or the Instant Pot 8 qt. I have seen elsewhere.  What do you suggest and why?  TIA

@WORKING GAL  I have the SAME ONE and LOVE the OVAL SHAPE.   You have so much more flexibility with it.   I'm still using mine but it takes awhile to come up to pressure.  Other than that, it does an amazing job.   I'll be following the replies that you get here.  I would only replace with an oval shape.