Respected Contributor

I dont move my Kitchenaid stand mixer. Too heavy and easier to use and clean if out (for me).  So I bought mine in a beautiful fun color ( iced raspberry) with glass bowl.  Its a highlight of my small kitchen and I get loads of compliments and I think I use it more often because I don't have to lug it anywhere. Cleaning it and the surrounding area is much easier. 

Valued Contributor

I would get a refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom.  

Respected Contributor

@tipsy wrote:

I agree! Our last 2 refrigerators have been bottom freezer ones. It's so much easier to get produce from drawers when they're at your waist level instead of bending all the way down almost to floor level. We realized we didn't go into the freezer as much as we did the fridge. If you get one, make sure the freezer pulls straight back as opposed to opening to the side. 

Valued Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

@tipsy wrote:

I agree! Our last 2 refrigerators have been bottom freezer ones. It's so much easier to get produce from drawers when they're at your waist level instead of bending all the way down almost to floor level. We realized we didn't go into the freezer as much as we did the fridge. If you get one, make sure the freezer pulls straight back as opposed to opening to the side. 

Yes, having the freezer on top is a bad design. 

I would also never want a side by side because you can't fit a big turkey in the freezer..also the refrigerator shelves are too narrow for large plates.

Although I haven't checked out any side by sides lately, so maybe they're roomier now.

Also they say that it's not good for eggs to be on the door because of the constant temperature fluctuation, but that's usually where the egg trays are.

Valued Contributor

Re: Overwhelmed

[ Edited ]

I did a complete gut job of a late 1950s kitchen in late 2019.  So I have some experience in this!  First, I would HIGHLY recommend you get someone who just does kitchens (and maybe baths) to design a layout of where cabinets go, what goes where, where appliances might go best, what kind and size of cabinets you need, etc. That would answer most of your questions!! If you just hire a general contractor who does 'everything', while they certainly want your business HA they might not really be 'experts' in kitchens!  I learned a TON of information I had absolutely no idea prior and I feel it's absolutely worth it 100% to get an expert's opinion in this! Also, depending on what a contractor 'sources' for the cabinets, it might not work or fit in your space.  I've been in homes where they 'cheapened' out the cabinets and you can DEFINITELY tell some of them are 'off' and not centered, or just look like they put the cheapest thing they could find to install. I feel bad, but don't want to hurt anyone's feelings and tell them if they just paid a little more for custom cabinets, it would have looked 100% better! If you're going into a total gut/remodel job, do it right!! And I'm not rich by any means, so it's possible on a budget!

Second, if you can manage, be your own 'project manager'. I was quoted an absolutely ridiculous amount of money for someone to 'oversee' the project, do demo, electric, gas line (needed to run from basement to kitchen for gas stove-had electric in old kitchen) & plumbing. Figured I'd be supervising the whole thing anyway (because I don't let strangers in my home when I'm not there!!) I had my own handymen do the demo of old cabinets and appliances and tear down half a wall.  My one handyman also did my electric work and installed 3 appliances that the delivery guys were going to charge a lot more for (this I would have had the delivery guys do if my handyman couldn't). I found a plumber to fix and put a new water line in for the sink.  The company we get our gas from I used to run the gas line. I'm not messing with gas line work, and didn't want to hire anyone to do this EXCEPT for someone who does this every day all day!!  

Third, I mapped out when everything was to be done. Going back to the expertise of the kitchen designers, they helped me determine when I needed what to be done and mapped out my schedule from there! On this note, give a 'buffer' in-between projects. Things always take longer than you think! And make sure everyone is on board with what they're doing when! It all was based on when the cabinets would be done and the new countertops were to be installed (time to make everything).  Please note they won't even measure for countertops until after the cabinets go in, so you get an exact fit! This is the right way to do countertops I found out. Who knew? lol

It sounds like a lot, but really wasn't. Not saying I didn't want to tear my hair out sometimes, but it saved me 75%!!!!! from what a contractor wanted to charge vs. what I ended up paying to hire out myself & oversee for the 'work'. This didn't include the cabinet and countertop/backsplash cost which the kitchen designer/maker incurred. The kitchen designers also installed the cabinets.Well worth the piece of mind and I have a warranty/guarantee it was done RIGHT! Again, let the experts do what experts do! And I had the countertop/backsplash designers install their product too. The kitchen designers recommended the countertop/backsplash company (who I might use when I save to do a bathroom-my next project!). Both top notch!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

My only input is given the scope, you should subcontract with an expert kitchen designer who could review all the options in your price range and discuss with you your preferences.  Also, experts may have access to other materials and components not sold in the big box stores to regular people.   I am sure the price of the expert will be worth it in the long run.

By the way, I only cook with gas, although both my DM and grandmother used electric stoves.  So the gas option will always be a must for me, no matter the cost!

@FancyPhillyshopper 

Finally found a kitchen designer in town. I looked online & in phone book trying to find one. Nothing listed. Kind of what I figured where we live. I called out to the place that sells countertops & they have a couple that does kitchen design for them that I can hire by the hour to get some help.

DH wants gas. Not so sure it's a good idea. I can see DH catching his shirt sleeve on fire while cooking when he gets old with that open flame. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Nightowlz 

Congrats on your kitchen remodel.

I did my galley style kitchen 3 years ago.  Best thing I ever did was go with "pot drawers" on all bottom cabinets. (we only have 6) Just so nice vs. bending over.  I know cabinets also have the slide out shelves available.  (I had them in my kitchen up north).

I made the mistake of not adding the shelf on top of my granite near sink area and not removing soffit (fake) and going with taller cabinets-- next time😉

I originally designed on paper the layout but worked with kitchen designer.  She was "priceless" with getting the best deals and great ideas working w/smaller footprint.  I was able to add extra cabinet for glassware, etc. 

Lucky you...pantry in kitchen🙂.  I have walk-in pantry in my hallway but converted utility room area off kitchen into storage/pantry area.

We needed every inch of space so our fridge is a 32" vs. 35" and kept our same stove (gas not available here or I would have switched).

My final thought as I'm sure you know -- get every detail, including what contractor provides, materials you chose, plumbing, electrical, etc. that is included in contracted price BEFORE they start.

I learned the hard way my kitchen contractor was just that nothing more than demo, cabinet install...big mistake on my part "assuming" they handled it ALL.  Cost me another $2000 for new plumbing, new electrical and lighting choices.  Of course, I will only use licensed, bonded and insured contractors.

I'm in the process of bathroom remodel -- gut job I wonder who puts step down shower in "over 55" houses 🤷‍♀️ anyway, it's a 6" step down and converting to walk-in, moving walls for linen closet,etc.  -- I'm looking forward to it ...it's long overdue!!

Cant wait to see the finished kitchen.  

@homedecor1 

We are putting drawers on all the lower cabinets for pots, pans, dishes etc. Also the pantry cabinets in dining room will fit anything that does not fit in kitchen.

We are not sure if we are removing bulkhead or not. DH does not want insulation from attic going all over the house. We found a solution to hide it wo may go that route. I need to talk to designer first. I will get some spec plans on where things are going tomorrow. I can show to designer to see what needs to be changed.

We don't have a contractor. All I have right now is a business that only makes custom cabinets & installs them. I went with him because after talking to him & seeing his work I know he knows what he's doing. I did not like what I heard from another guy we talked to. Told DH he does not know what he's doing. You just know that when you start asking them questions.

We got most of our kitchen cabinets cleaned out this weekend. We are both tired & sore. LOL!!! DH is removing all the old cabinets. That's not a big deal. When we had flooring done we did all the prep work before it was installed.

Going to ask the designer tomorrow about electrical, plumbing that need to be done to see what she says. The cabinet maker says he works these people when they do install to get things set up. 

He has done work like this to cover bulkhead when people don't want to remove it. What do think about it?

Trim for Bulkhead.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

What I wouldn't give for a floor to ceiling pantry. Even a narrow one would hold a great deal more than a standard cupboard.

@AuntG 

He recommended 15"-18" depth since he said you really can't reach back farther. We don't want it taking over our dining room either. I have a countertop oven in the dining room too. It comes in handy when it's hot.

I don't want a microwave but DH does so trying to figure out where to put it.  

@Nightowlz 

I know microwave ovens over the stove are considered taboo but I love mine there.  My kids have newer kitchens and theirs are a part of the lower cabinetry system on the kitchen side of the island next to the small sink.  They have those big hoods over their stoves that are more decorative than anything else.  One son has the Tuscan kitchen and all that is out of style now, so they are going to redo their kitchen after 9 years and it is going to cost them a fortune and that hood is a large part of the cost.

I refused to pay the price to have my driveway dug up and the expense of a gas line but if I had it to do over, I would.   I do not like my glass-top electric range (NOT AT ALL).  Two of my kids have split system (gas top and electric oven) and they love that.  I think I would also. 

I have floor-to-ceiling cabinetry system and I am short and never use those high cabinets.  However, many people do enjoy them and use them.  I am too short and I get dizzy on a stepladder because I have MS and heights now make me dizzy and afraid.

I say get the fridge that strikes your fancy when you shop for them.  That's what I did and I am okay with what I got several years later.  I do have stainless and I got the LG because the stainless looks like spun silver in color and everything else works just like any other fridge.

@Nonametoday 

We have our microwave above stove now & I hate it. It's too high for me. I want to reach straight out to use it at an arms length. I don't want to reach up or down.

My sister mentioned a microwave drawer but don't think I want to pay the price for one of those since we only use it to reheat things. Who knows I may change my mind. I think I'm going to have a shorter cabinet on one side of stove with built in enclosed shelf under it so each area is still same size on each side of stove. I will ask designer before making my decision.

We already have gas. All they have to do is run line probably from where gas is in garage for heater & hot water tank. It's not that far from kitchen. You walk in from garage door to entryway start going down hall & kitchen is right there to the left. Looks like about maybe 10' across ceiling then line down wall.

Ceiling in dining room is cathedral but on wall putting pantry is 8'. I cannot reach to top either but I will be able to reach most of it. We can put things we don't use as much at very top. The shelves are adjustable so I can put where I want. The only reason I'm having it built to ceiling is because I don't want a dust collector shelf to clean. LOL!!!

I have no clue for appliances. I guess Lowe's is our option or we have one appliance store besides Rent a Center which I'm not buying from?

I thought about a Wolf stove if we do gas but I'm not paying $5000 or more for a stove. LOL!!! When I showed DH he said What? Now he's talking about double wall oven with gas on countertop. I don't think I want that?

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

Congratulations, @Nightowlz! Kitchen remodels can certainly be stressful, and they're typically not quick, but hopefully the results will be well worth it. DEFINITELY take pics throughout the process—it is not only helpful if something goes wrong or doesn't turn out as it should have, but it is also really nice to fully appreciate the before and after (and even the "during," if you choose to document that).

One little note, for whatever it's worth: I have two friends who installed the specialty pop-up shelf for their KitchenAid mixers, and both said after a month or so, the novelty wore off and they realized they'd rather just keep the mixer on the counter and reclaim their cabinet space. Apparently, as helpful as it seems, it can make a big mess, and it's more difficult to manuever ingredients/utensils/bowls/etc. into and around it. And you're also having to keep the cabinet door open while the shelf is in use, which can be cumbersome. Ultimately, one friend ended up adding an "appliance garage" to her kitchen so she can just pull the mixer onto the main part of the counter, use it, and tuck it away afterward. The other friend went back to using a cart in her pantry for storing the mixer and just wheels it into the kitchen and moves the mixer onto her island when she needs to use it.

I wish you the best of luck with your project! Smiley Happy

@loriqvc 

Everyone wants before & after pics. I told DH take some pics. He will start removing higher bar top area with upper cabinet & light this weekend. We decided to get stuff out of cabinets before moving to the next step.

I checked out those pop-ups for mixer & doubt I will get one. I would need more counter space to use it so might as well leave it on the counter. I have sliders on the bottom so it's easy to move around. It's too heavy to have to get out of cabinet when I need to use it. 

I don't think I want any parking garages taking up counter space. Don't want to be limited to that's where you have to keep the mixer. I will most likely leave it right where it's at.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

We moved in our home 5 years ago.  One reason we picked this house was the size of the kitchen, it's very large, and unlike many of the other homes we looked out, it has been remodeled.  the previous owners made a large investment in the kitchen.  I have 3 sinks, two are Shaw farmhouse white sinks.  I like them but if I would of put in one larger sink, definietely stainless.  Make sure you put in garbage disposals, we have 3, one for each sink.  I now have double ovens...I love, love, love having double ovens.  They are electric which I didn't think I'd like but it doesn't bother me.  I have a six burner stove top (gas) and it really makes a big difference having 6 instead of 4.  Under the stove top is 4 very large drawers, that's where I keep my pots and pans.  I have two islands.  One island is strictly for storage, then other has seating, the 3rd sink and it's deep enough that it fits a two can garage system which I really like.  I also have a pantry and the previous owners had California closet system installed.  Great for organization.  I like to keep my toaster, crockpot, instant pot and coffee maker in there.  I don't like them out on my countertop. Our countertops are granite, I would of definitely have choosen a quartz.  The drawers are not self close, but I would of definitely have put that in.  There's lots of cabinetry in my kitchen, which I appreciate, and I also like that there's different sizes especially to fit the larger plates and serving pieces.  My baking trays, cutting boards, griddle,  stove top grill, cake pans, etc. is above the double ovens where they just slide in and out which is convenient.  

@ScrapHappy 

I'm going to have to see how much space is left under cabinet if we get farm sink. We have to make sure we have the space for our reverse osmosis system because I'm keeping it. The one we are using now we just bought a year ago. I don't care if I have a farm sink or not as long as we have one single large sink with disposal.

DH mentioned double ovens with gas countertop just don't think we need that. I don't know why we would need double ovens. We cook on the grill & use other cooking gadgets more then we use our stove or oven.

We have 2 dutch ovens, 2 pressure cookers, 6 qt & 12 at Nesco with fans, Crockpot etc. LOL!!! We also have one of those puck pressure cooker ovens you can bake in etc. I will be replacing it with nicer countertop oven at some point. We like using it when it's hot so we don't heat up the kitchen.

I'm having drawers installed in all lower cabinets. Plan on using them for pots, pans, dishes etc. I will use upper for? I will figure that out later. LOL!!! One cabinet in the kitchen will have large pull out drawer for cookie sheets, cutting boards, muffin tin etc.

Trying to make kitchen so we don't have to crawl around on the floor looking for something in lower cabinets. Right now I just bend over reach in to get what I need. DH tries to get on off floor. I told him if you need something just ask I can get it easier then you can. He has Sciatica right now. Going on 6 weeks with it.