Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@Nightowlz , an exciting project!  

here are my three pieces of advice...

1.  Gas stove, go for it!

2.  Soft close drawers, go for it.  

3.  Large drawers for pots and pans, same!  So much easier to manage pots and pans.

Keep us posted as you go.  One of 5e best remodel jobs in the house.  Good luck.  S

@Lilysmom1 

Cabinets are Soft Close. Finally. We used to just close ours with hand but now they are still open a bit so I come by & smack them. LOL!!! I don't want them open a bit. 

I think I will love the large drawers. Besides using them for pots/pans going to use them for dishes too.

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

I am not sure from your post if you are working with a kitchen designer or just a contractor? Sometimes a company will do both. I would not let just a contractor decide on all the choices when gutting a kitchen, that's a designer's job. There so many ways to go in a kitchen. 

@Janey2 

No we were not. I have not been able to find one until today. She's out today so I have to call her back when I get home from an appt. Guess she is the only one in town that does this other then an individual working out of their home. I will be working with one that works with the Counter top place in town. We only have 2 of those here.

I need one to look over what I'm doing to let me know yes no or what to change. I also want some help with my cabinet color, hardware, counter tops. I don't want it to look like an after thought if you know what I mean. We don't have a contractor either. Doubt that's necessary.

Our kitchen is a galley kitchen so nothing more then a glorified hallway. We are not making changes to the floor plan. There is no way to do that unless we extend kitchen into living area & build on from the back so we have a large enough living area which we are not doing. If we add on to the house it will be in the master bedroom.

That's why we are having custom cabinets made so they will fit. Just doing drawers on lower instead of cabinets. 

All we have right now is a business that makes custom cabinets & installs them nothing else. He does coordinate with others to see the job done.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Time..........May is just around the corner and you still have many decisions to make - too many.

I would work with a design expert instead of asking us - for help.  And I"d aim for a starting date of July - August instead of May.

@fthunt 

Found a designer we can hire by the hour to find out what we need to do if anything besides what we are doing. She's the only one in town.

We are just getting started so all kinds of questions. I don't see anything wrong with asking for some input here. In the end I will have the final say of what I want

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

We have a "1 butt" kitchen. More than one person in it & we're bumping into each other.

To have room for a dishwasher I opted for a very deep stainless steel single sink. I saw now reason for a double sink. They would have to been small to fit in the sink area.  I've never regretted the choice.

I have a floor to ceiling pantry. Love it.  I wish there was no soffit where the wall cabinets are and the cabinets were taller.

My kitchen remodel is about 20 years ago. Countertops are laminate.  I'd like to replace with a quartz composite. We used to have stools around the pennisula. It has  an overhang that I would eliminate if I get new countertops.

@Mary Bailey 

We are not installing a dishwasher as we don't need it. It just takes up space. We removed the hoses to it well over a year ago & don't miss it so don't need it. There are only 2 of us so we end up washing the dishes before the dishwasher gets full anyways. I know when we sell the house people won't want to buy it. All they would have to do is go back to smaller refrigerator & remove cabinet to left of it to install dishwasher if that's what they want.

Once we do the kitchen we will not be moving so when the house goes up for sale we will both be dead so we don't care if others like what we have done or not. LOL!!! We are making it to suit us.

We did a kitchen update 20 yrs ago. Now it's time for new everything.

DH does not want to remove bulkhead either so will probably do like this pic instead. That's bulkhead behind the molding.

Trim for Bulkhead.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

@Nightowlz  We renovated our galley kitchen about 30 years ago and installed a base cabinet with dividers for cookie sheets, cutting boards, etc. Ours didn't pull out, though. After a few years, the dividers came apart and, when I took them out, I realized the cabinet was much more functional without them, as I could nest more baking sheets and other items together. We also got a pull-out spice shelf that's very handy. The only change I'd make there is to swap 2 of the shorter shelves for 1 taller one to accommodate some of my larger BJ's-sized spice jars. We love our pull-out trash/recycling bins.

About 10 years ago we had to re-do all of the tracks on our drawers. At that time, we also had them install pull-out shelves in the cabinets above the wall oven and refrigerator, as well as under the sink. This makes it so much easier to get items from those cabinets (even though I still need a step stool for the uppers). 

I wish I had them install one of those shelves that raise and lower large appliances in a base cabinet to the counter height, such as for my KA stand mixer. Now that I'm not as agile as I used to be, it's a lot harder to hoist that mixer up to the counter. 

You're smart to solicit suggestions at this point, as scope creep can really jack costs up. Good luck with your renovation!

@Eileen in Virginia 

I told the guy I wanted a drawer that pulled out to put stuff in instead of still bending down looking for what we want in the cabinet. I may end up removing the dividers too. Will see how it works out.

I opted not to get the mix pop up. It does not have space to work so I'm just leaving it on the counter where it's always been.

I want the drawers put together with dovetails plus heavy duty sliders so we won't have issues with drawers. From what I saw online they have some for 50 lbs & for 100 lbs. 

At least when we cleaned out most of the cabinets we threw out 6 bags of stuff we no longer want. LOL!!! I'm sure I will throw out more when it comes time to put everything up.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Did you mention slide out shelves for pantry and bottom cupboards?  

@depglass 

The pantry cabinets are only 15"-18" in depth so don't need pull out shelf. The bottom cabinets will all have pull out drawers not cabinets.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

What I miss most about my last kitchen:

Slide out shelves behind doors under the counter for pots and pans.

I kept the mixer on the counter because there is always flour and spilled stuff around a mixer.  So I had a pull out shelf built for the toaster and food processor--and it was big enough and sturdy enough to use both on the pull out.

I put a cooktop in an archway along the wall rather than the center island because I wanted ALL that work and walk-around space to be free!  I was so glad to have that! 

I had deep pull-out drawers to store tall containers of flour, sugar, and other pantry items so I didin't have them on the counter.  

@Sooner 

Going to go with drawers for pots, pans, dishes on bottom.

I will have to make sure some are deep enough for sugar etc or I can always put in pantry in dining room. I keep flour we are using in the refrigerator & the rest is in the freezer.

I decided not to get pop up for mixer since no work space. It will be easier to use on the counter like I have always used it. Plus I won't have to have cabinet open while using it since we have a galley kitchen. 

I'm wondering how heavy duty the large pull out drawer for cookies sheets, muffin tin, cutting boards etc will go. I will find out tomorrow.

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

a contractor showed us  how a microwave can be  hidden inside a counter island  where you  don't see it till you press a button to  have it  pop up .  I  forget what he exactly called  it. I think I saw the same device on  web site Touch of Modern.com

@skatting44 

I saw some like that last night while I was researching.

I think we can get a smaller microwave to put in enclosed cabinet under another upper cabinet that would have to be made shorter to accomadate the microwave. I really don't want to look at it. I don't want it taking my counter space.

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

I dont move my Kitchenaid stand mixer. Too heavy and easier to use and clean if out (for me).  So I bought mine in a beautiful fun color ( iced raspberry) with glass bowl.  Its a highlight of my small kitchen and I get loads of compliments and I think I use it more often because I don't have to lug it anywhere. Cleaning it and the surrounding area is much easier. 

@LizzieInSRQ 

I decided to leave the KitchenAid mixer on the counter. I did put sliders on the bottom which makes it easy to move around on counter.

Honored Contributor

Re: Overwhelmed

[ Edited ]

@tipsy wrote:

I would get a refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom.  

@tipsy @Eileen in Virginia 

That's what we want. We have large freezer in garage now as big as our refrigerator.