Valued Contributor

Our son in law orders steaks from Omaha steaks all the time. He says they are excellent and loves their quick service. He is a rugby player and loves his steak and chicken. Has anyone ever tried an online steak company?? I was looking at Rastelli... the pork/steak package looks good. we don't eat steak all the time so having it in the freezer is a plus.

Respected Contributor

Re: Ordering steaks on line..

I've tried two....Omaha and Kanas City.  Of the two I prefer Omaha.  I thought the meat tasted better.  Actually, didn't order the Omaha online, we had a store close by and I would go there.  But it is the same product that is online.  Stores sometimes have some good sales though.

Honored Contributor

My SO's brother sent him Omaha meats on 2 consecutive Christmases.  Maybe they're better now than they were those 8 years ago, but I'm not about to find out!

Esteemed Contributor

@so so  We have received Omaha Steaks as gifts several times, and they were just OK. Not bad, but not as good as we could get at our local supermarket for less money. I don't like to buy food sight-unseen. Usually, I shop the Manager's Specials in the steak department. That means the steaks are aging, which is a good thing. Not like dry-aging, but aging nonetheless. I, for one, don't understand why the price doesn't go up on the steaks that are starting to turn brown. They taste much better.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom .........Having worked in a meat dept at a grocery, the steaks (any meat) that is turning brown is being cooked by the lights in the meat cases or the overhead store lights.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@PA Mom-mom .........Having worked in a meat dept at a grocery, the steaks (any meat) that is turning brown is being cooked by the lights in the meat cases or the overhead store lights.

@Imaoldhippie  Well, it also happens at the custom kill butcher shops we shop at. But, for whatever reason, they always taste better when they are just turning "sweet."

Respected Contributor

I've only done it once. My mom used to work for Pat Boone in the early 1960s, so when he started his own steam company, I ordered her some as a gag gift.

I very rarely eat steak I think the last time I bought steak to cook myself was at least 10 years ago.

Honored Contributor

If you have a Costco nearby, I think their steaks are better.  

Honored Contributor

We've always gotten good steaks at Costco as well.

Esteemed Contributor

There are so many horror stories of ice problems, that I would never dare order food.

I tend to think a lot of it is just hype too.  All good steaks do not just come from a particular area.  I see a lot of local grass fed around here and I know what butcher they end up at.