Honored Contributor

The last few years oranges , at least where I shop have bee dry And tasteless. However this year ,what a difference. Every bag so far has been sweet and juicy, and affordable. I love all citrus, but I had forgotten how much I like 🍊 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Still waiting to hit the jackpot with a sweet juicy orange here in AK!

🍊😕

Esteemed Contributor

We have been eating cara navels that have been really sweet and juicy.  It seems to be the time of year when I crave citrus.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

The halo one's I got (all three freaking orders) were good.  Although the last batch was much larger and sweeter than the first two.

I was eating 1 to 2 a day.  It got to be too much acid so I had to take a break.  My stomach has issue sometimes.

Honored Contributor

Annabelle,  The Halos are akaline in your body, same with oranges, lemons, grapefruit.  Most fruits (prunes and plums are and exception and acidic) have an alkaline effort in your body..all so good for your health....so eat up those Halos!

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

The halo one's I got (all three freaking orders) were good.  Although the last batch was much larger and sweeter than the first two.

I was eating 1 to 2 a day.  It got to be too much acid so I had to take a break.  My stomach has issue sometimes.

Honored Contributor

Every bag for me is hit and miss in flavor & sweetness it seems.  Some are good, others not so much.  Doesn't matter what type I buy either.  I realize not all oranges are created equal.  I also wonder why some get moldy very quickly too.  When I buy oranges I always look at every one in the bag to make sure they all look good.  I count them too because some bags have one or two more than other bags.  I do this with all produce in bags.  It's like a bonus bag with a winner inside!

Respected Contributor

I live in Florida-no guarantee of good citrus either depending on rain amounts and plagues.  This year the industry is being hit hard with "greening".

I just bought a bag of halos-and the cuties were fabulous this year.

On recipes, Gardenesia posted a fabulous recipe for a simple cake : Nigella Lawson's

Clementine Cake-which can be made with any citrus. I have been making this weekly ever since she posted it. I have to use sugar substitutes-I guess I could use a little cane sugar-but my point is, the cooked fruits are so sweet, I think the amount of sugar is overkill.  Look it up-and silken tofu could most certainly be used in place of eggs.  In fact, I will try that and report back!

Poodlepet2

Valued Contributor

Oh I know what you mean! I have been eating lots of oranges lately Smiley Happy Just got some Cara Cara oranges that were devine!

Honored Contributor

have gotten some excellent navel oranges from pittman and davis.....ruby red grapefruits also. both VERY juicy and sweet.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

The cara cara oranges are my absolute favorite and there must have been a bumper crop this season!  I've been going to BJ's and buying them in huge bags.  Fresh orange juice nearly every day, and mimosas on Sundays.  My son loves them with ice cream for an orange milkshake.