Frequent Contributor

I love the onion holder from Hutzler (it looks just like an onion).  You see them in the produce section at the grocery store or on amazon.  I looked at these for years before trying one.  After slicing an onion, if you want to store it for a couple of days put it in the holder and in the refrigerator.  The onion smell doesn't go all through the refrigerator and freezer.  I'm always amazed at how well the odor is contained!  I wash it top rack in the dishwasher.

Has anyone else tried the onion holder?  It's too good not to share this.

Respected Contributor

I have not....I use a ziploc bag or a small lock and lock.   It is good to know the onion holder works well....I might try one.

Trusted Contributor

@DeeJoyce wrote:

I love the onion holder from Hutzler (it looks just like an onion).  You see them in the produce section at the grocery store or on amazon.  I looked at these for years before trying one.  After slicing an onion, if you want to store it for a couple of days put it in the holder and in the refrigerator.  The onion smell doesn't go all through the refrigerator and freezer.  I'm always amazed at how well the odor is contained!  I wash it top rack in the dishwasher.

Thanks you so much for posting this. I just went on Amazon and ordered one. 😊

Trusted Contributor

@Lucylu12 wrote:

@DeeJoyce wrote:

@Lucylu12 @DeeJoyce  It sounds like a cool gadget. The only problem is I always eat the whole onion. I’ll probably buy one anyway to use when Vidalias go out of season. Thanks

DeeJoyce!

Esteemed Contributor

How cute!  I will definitely keep that in mind.  I use onion just about everyday and I'm always fishing around in the crisper for the plastic bag.

Cogito ergo sum
Regular Contributor

Thank you DeeJoyce!  I just ordered the yellow and red onion holders from Amazon, reasonably priced. 

Trusted Contributor

@Ketra wrote:

@Lucylu12 wrote:

@DeeJoyce wrote:

@Lucylu12 @DeeJoyce  It sounds like a cool gadget. The only problem is I always eat the whole onion. I’ll probably buy one anyway to use when Vidalias go out of season. Thanks

DeeJoyce!

I was putting them in the lock and lock and container and that does not work, so I recently starting buying the throw away plastic containers. It’s amazing how much they contain the smell. I was surprised. Anything I used to store an onion not only smelled up the fridge but it was hard to get the smell out of the container they were in. However those throw away containers work pretty good but this onion saver seems better and I can keep it. I can’t wait to get it.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Onion Holder

[ Edited ]

In contrast to a couple of posts in this thread, I found that the Hutzler onion keeper did nothing to prevent onion smells in the refrigerator (though the Hutzler produce keepers are great), so I started using the Lock & Lock mini domed containers and now I never smell onion when I open the fridge. However, one thing to note is that ALL of these containers that have plastic elements hold onto smells even after deep cleaning. I've tried every trick in the book to address this issue, but my "solution" has just ended up being a designation of specific containers for use with items that have strong smells.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I always hesitate to recommend an item and I hope you find it works as well as mine does.

Trusted Contributor

@DeeJoyce wrote:

I always hesitate to recommend an item and I hope you find it works as well as mine does.

Hey, ordered yesterday from Amazon and it arrived today. Thanks again and for the low cost it’s worth it try.