Esteemed Contributor

Re: Obsolete Cabinet Features

The first house we owned was built in 1910. It too had a laundry chute to the basement from the 2nd floor hallway. That same chute had a door in the dining room which was very handy for kitchen linens.

On the stair landing up to the 2nd floor was a "shaker" porch--a tiny little porch built as a place to shake rugs.

Before buying that first house we lived in an old apartment that had two doorways--mere steps from each other. The more formal door entered into the living room. The other door was called a "servant's entry"  that entered into the kitchen and was used for grocery deliveries.  

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

@mimomof4 Having watched every Flip or Flop episode, I have a bit of information you may want to store in your memory bank if the day comes when stairs are too much. They will often take a closet and convert it to accommodate a stack washer and dryer. 

@On It  It's just my husband and myself in our home. He put the washer and dryer in the double closet with the sliding doors in the master bedroom. He got rid of the sliding doors and put double doors in. It's very convenient as the clothes come on and off in the master bedroom. The machine and dryer fit perfectly side by side.

Respected Contributor

We had a trash compactor and I had slide-out trash can put in its place.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ValuSkr   I never lived in a 2 story house but always thought a laundry chute would be wonderful.  However, I always wondered if thing get stuck in them and how do you get them out?

@Kachina624 Our first house had a laundry chute in the bathroom-on the second floor, and another directly under it in the kitchen before it got downstairs to the basement. So if things got stuck we could usually push or pull it to get it free. I really loved having the laundry chute....but would now prefer to have an upstairs laundry!!!!

Lynn-Critter Lover!
(especially cats!)
Esteemed Contributor

@On It  My mom had a full-sized ironing board that folded into the woodwork of her kitchen, looking like a recessed kitchen cabinet when it was closed. That way she could iron and keep an eye on the stove at the same time. I enjoyed helping her iron there, because it was the best room in the house for friendly conversation and good smells. She kept her "sprinkled" cottons on a shelf of the utility closet in the kitchen. She used an old ginger ale bottle with a metal sprinkle top for the sprinkler.

Esteemed Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

A kitchen cabinet feature we had when I was growing up was a pull-out cutting board above the drawers right next to the sink. A lot of the homes in my neighborhood had this, but I think my mother was one of the only people who used it—she's a bit short and found it very handy.

@loriqvc  We had one of those too, but mom stopped using it because we kept trying to stand on it. Hahaha!

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Remember those huge tin-lined drawers that were for bread storage and we're supposed to keep it fresh?

Had one in my Michigan house. Original to the home which was built in 1957

Harmonize the World with Barbershop Music
Honored Contributor

My Grandmother had an Ironing Closet. It was a space lined in cedar wood that had the ironing board attached (you just folded it up when you were finished ironing) and narrow shelves on the other side for the storage of the iron, water bottle etc.

It didn't have a door on the front..a white curtain with pink roses covered the space.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr   My mom, age 96, has a laundry chute in her condo that goes from the bathroom to a basket next to the washer on her lower level. She also has a mail slot in her door. My own mail slot recently was removed when a new front door was installed. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just saw a flour bin and sifter in a thrift store. My Aunt had a modern kitchen but also kept hers and her wood stove. 
        🍞 🍳 🧈 🫙 🍯