Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

yeah, that's where I've been buying mine. I've had good luck with "refurbished".

Not a secret any more I guess. hahahahah

I am of the opinion that "refurbished" is often better than brand new as the quality control check is one-on-one not one on a randomly selected item out of hundreds or thousands.  I've never had a problem with a "refurbished" item (biting my tongue as I typed that).

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

I saw the Big Boss 8.5 qt. on a website months ago but it was out of stock and did not have good reviews so I passed on it.  Did it say who manufactures it?  I'm leary about purchasing a brand I don't know.  Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

@WORKING GAL, the 8.5 Big Boss PC is a re-branded Deni, the same company that manufacturered the Cook's Essentials line for QVC.

I don't know if you checked the reviews for the CE when Q was selling them but they were mixed as they still are for almost all the brands Q currently offers.  However, keep in mind that Q would sell 20,000 or more in one day and there were at best a couple of hundred reviews.

Even on Amazon if you look at the reviews they are mixed.  Even the highly rated Power Pressure Cooker XL on Amazon with 1,165 reviews isn't rated much higher than now discontinued (?, an assumption)  Big Boss or the Deni I ordered.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Valued Contributor

Re: OVAL PRESSURE COOKER

[ Edited ]

I have an oval Techniques 6 qt that I bought on the Q few years ago.  It is heavy as heck but it has been reliable so far.  Another pro about the oval, the inner pot doesn't spin while you are stirring food inside like the rounds ones do.   I just got the smaller CE 4qt. round but had some problems getting it to work correctly on my first try a couple of days ago.  First their was steam coming out of the control knob on top that wouldn't stop while pressurizing/cooking.  I had to turn it off and retwist the knob again.  So I restarted it and the control knob seemed OK then while it was finishing cooking I noticed the metal rod that rises while it is pressurized emitted steam the whole time it was in the cooking phase.  Mind you that never happens with my Techniques pressure cooker so I am thinking something may be wrong.  I just let it finish with the steam rising from the metal rod area. I finally got my meal to cook after much anxiety and baby sitting, I made the salsa chicken in the new cook book, but I think all of the restarting I had to do to control some of the steam issues caused the rice to burn on the bottom since I had to cook extra time trying to get it done fianlly...tasted good except for the burnt part of the rice on the bottom.

Honored Contributor

sounded like needed more water.

New Contributor

Yes, This is a great idea and I suggested it to Mr. Warden a few years ago. I asked then for an 8 quart oval like the Ninja cooking system just to also make it a pressure cooker. Said it was a good idea but apparently not good enough, as it hasn't happed yet!

New Contributor

I would also buy it in a heart-beat !!