Trusted Contributor

Re: Need Potato Masher Substitute

A ricer is perfect. But of course, if you could find your ricer, you would probably also know where your masher is...Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
Has anyone heard of putting an egg in your mashed potatoes? I was watching a British show where they put an egg in them. I Googled it, which said that it makes them creamy and once you do it, you won't do your mashed potatoes any other way. Any thoughts?

@Tigriss -- I have never heard of this so I checked it out online.  It sounds interesting so I will have to give it a try.  You are right, the heat from the potatoes will cook the egg as it is stirred in.

I also came across another idea that I had never heard of before but it also sounds good...Eggs Baked in Mashed Potatoes.  Would make a delicious alternative to eggs and hashbrowns.   I'll post the recipe next.

Super Contributor

Eggs Baked in Mashed Potatoes 

Eggs Baked in Mashed Potatoes is the best way to serve leftover mashed potatoes while making breakfast. You might want to make extra mashed potatoes just so that you can try this delightful breakfast recipe.

Prep Time 3 minutes
Cook Time 12 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes

Ingredients
  • 2-3 cups Mashed Potatoes
  • 1 tablespoon Butter
  • 4 Large Eggs
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 2 tablespoons Part Skim Shredded Mozzarella
  • 1 tablespoon Parmesan
  • 6-8 Sage Leaves
Instructions
  1. Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Then microwave the potatoes until they are just warm - this will probably just take a minute or two. Stop halfway to stir the potatoes. The potatoes are easier to work with when they are warm, and more importantly, by heating them a little it insures that the potatoes will be hot when the eggs are cooked.
  2. Use half of the butter to grease a pie pan. Then add the warm potatoes. Use a spoon to create four spaces to hold the eggs. Crack the eggs into these spots, sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper over the eggs. Then sprinkle the cheeses over.
  3. Place the dish on the lowest rack of the oven to cook for 7 minutes.
  4. Then move it to an upper rack and cook under broil for 5 more minutes. The whites of the eggs should be solid, and the yolks should still be soft. Let sit for 3-5 minutes before serving.
Respected Contributor

@DeniseColo  Thanks for the idea.  I bet they would be great baked till they are a bit running and mixed into your potatoes.  With some sausages on the side, YUM!

Esteemed Contributor

I stir sausage and eggs into grits, why not potatoes?

Respected Contributor

That would be lovely! I know that there is an Irish dish where they mix cabbage and mash...Since I had cabbage and mash, I mixed them too. YUM!
Esteemed Contributor

I make the cabbage and mash, or colcannon, and serve with link sausage for a yummy dinner!

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
I just read the recall....they said one farm produced 2.3 million eggs per day. That is a lot of chickens. They also highlighted that salmonella spreads to the eggs before the shell is formed from infected chickens.....Not now a days with all the antibiotics they give them, so it is most likely the little note the new service tucked onto the end of the article about salmonella being spread from feces on the shell too. That is the normal way, but the eggs are supposed to be washed in bleach water for a given time along with all the equipment being bleached on the line and in the coolers where they wash and box the eggs. They may also be reusing egg flats that have had the pooed on eggs in them after they've washed the eggs re-contaminating them. Oh the crape commercial farming does these days.

@Tigriss  Chickens are nasty in any case.  My grandmother had them.  They have mites and are dusty and drop feathers and poop all over.  They pick and scratch and can quickly rid your yard of grass, and they are noisy as well--even the hens.  I don't know why they are allowing them in cities now.  Just sounds like a bad idea to me.  Plus they attract predators like coyotes and  snakes after the eggs and such. 

BUT, I do love and eat eggs all the time and chicken too!  But I know from whence they come and recommend being careful with them!  LOL!

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Tigriss wrote:
I just read the recall....they said one farm produced 2.3 million eggs per day. That is a lot of chickens. They also highlighted that salmonella spreads to the eggs before the shell is formed from infected chickens.....Not now a days with all the antibiotics they give them, so it is most likely the little note the new service tucked onto the end of the article about salmonella being spread from feces on the shell too. That is the normal way, but the eggs are supposed to be washed in bleach water for a given time along with all the equipment being bleached on the line and in the coolers where they wash and box the eggs. They may also be reusing egg flats that have had the pooed on eggs in them after they've washed the eggs re-contaminating them. Oh the crape commercial farming does these days.

@Tigriss  Chickens are nasty in any case.  My grandmother had them.  They have mites and are dusty and drop feathers and poop all over.  They pick and scratch and can quickly rid your yard of grass, and they are noisy as well--even the hens.  I don't know why they are allowing them in cities now.  Just sounds like a bad idea to me.  Plus they attract predators like coyotes and  snakes after the eggs and such. 

BUT, I do love and eat eggs all the time and chicken too!  But I know from whence they come and recommend being careful with them!  LOL!

@Sooner  Those sound like the chickens that run around in the yard.  Most people do keep them in chicken coops.  And, yes, they can be all those things, but they can also be clean as can their eggs. "Urban farming" has long since been popular, but there are rules for keeping chickens.  I live in the country, so yard chickens wouldn't be a problem, but predators would be, so you keep them fenced in.  We have hawks that prey on small dogs down here, so we have predators all around us all the time.  You get used to it. As for them eating your grass; we've never had that problem, goats yes, but not chickens.  We don't have such small yards that chicken would keep the grass torn up, which is what they do for the bugs and worms.  We love fresh eggs in anything.  They are so much richer than store-bought.  Fresh milk is too!  The fewer steps between the food and your table the better and healthier.

Trusted Contributor

@Tigriss, Hello I used a Potato Masher then a Hand Mixer (No Lumps) I found this thing.Works great and I use one tool.

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2267101/dash-masha-2x-food-masher.jsp?ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=SMALL....