Super Contributor

Re: Need A Delicious Enchilada Sauce Recipe...

I have shared this recipe here often and it similar to Barbarainnc, but will happily share it again. I've been making it over 20 years. I have also used it as a base for soups and pot pie filling. Super easy and forgiving and a few times that I got it a bit too spicy, I stirred in some cream cheese until melted, worked great.

ENCHILADA GRAVY

¼ Cup Cooking or Peanut Oil

4 – 5 Tablespoons Flour

1 Chicken bouillon cube (or powdered equivalentI like to use granulated bouillon, it is a little more flexible)

Gebhardt or other Chili powder Blend

2 – 2 ½ Cups water

Heat oil in a heavy skillet or saucepan, whisk in the flour, add the bouillon, when the flour starts to brown add 1 – 1 ½ cups of water, stirring constantly with whisk to prevent lumps, add 1 – 2 Tablespoons of the chili powder blend (to your taste). Let it cook for 2 minutes on medium heat. If the gravy seems to be thick, add little amounts of water until it is not too thick or two thin.

tkins

Respected Contributor

On 10/26/2014 tkins said:

I have shared this recipe here often and it similar to Barbarainnc, but will happily share it again. I've been making it over 20 years. I have also used it as a base for soups and pot pie filling. Super easy and forgiving and a few times that I got it a bit too spicy, I stirred in some cream cheese until melted, worked great.

ENCHILADA GRAVY

¼ Cup Cooking or Peanut Oil

4 – 5 Tablespoons Flour

1 Chicken bouillon cube (or powdered equivalentI like to use granulated bouillon, it is a little more flexible)

Gebhardt or other Chili powder Blend

2 – 2 ½ Cups water

Heat oil in a heavy skillet or saucepan, whisk in the flour, add the bouillon, when the flour starts to brown add 1 – 1 ½ cups of water, stirring constantly with whisk to prevent lumps, add 1 – 2 Tablespoons of the chili powder blend (to your taste). Let it cook for 2 minutes on medium heat. If the gravy seems to be thick, add little amounts of water until it is not too thick or two thin.

tkins

Sounds good, I'll try it also.

Respected Contributor

Made enchiladas last night, so good!!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}