Respected Contributor

NEED better shortening than modern-day Crisco

Some years ago, amid the trans-fat controversy, Crisco made their shortening supposedly "healthier."

The trouble is that the new Crisco damages old recipes. Modern-day Criso is not smooth; it breaks apart. Batters are no longer smooth.

I know there other brands of shortening that are like the "old" Crisco. Does anyone know what these brand names are? Has anyone actually tried them?

I'm willing to pay more money to bring an old recipe back to life.

Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: NEED better shortening than modern-day Crisco

I haven't noticed that. Guess I'm not paying attention. 

Respected Contributor

What is the recipe? There may be something in that recipe that isn't in others that may be reacting with the new formula of Crisco. Also, there are alternatives to using Crisco in recipes depending on the recipe.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tigriss wrote:
What is the recipe? There may be something in that recipe that isn't in others that may be reacting with the new formula of Crisco. Also, there are alternatives to using Crisco in recipes depending on the recipe.

@Tigriss   So, what are the alternatives to use??  In cakes for example....

Super Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@Tigriss wrote:

What are the alternatives to use??  In cakes for example....

I haven't used shortening for years since I started trying to make hmore natural food choices.  I always use melted or softened butter to replace the shortening that's called for in recipes and haven't had any complaints.  In fact, I think butter makes everything taste better.

Honored Contributor

We have a brand available called "Snowdrift".

I wouldn't melt butter to put in a cake batter unless you want to add extra liquid.  I taught Foods, Advanced Foods, and Food Science.

Honored Contributor

i only use butter. nothing beats the flavor.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I also only use butter.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Butter i great, but shortening and butter, while in some cases are interchangeable, in many recipes are NOT- 

Certain cookies and pastries/crusts for example, need shortening, to turn out right- Butter DOES have liquid in it, shortneing does not,which is why,i fyou are using it when melting cocolate, butter will make it sieze, shorteningwill not.

To see the difference each makes, try your favorite chocolate chip cookie   recipe, make one with butter and one with shortening (or even half shortening) and observe how the  texture differs..

Trusted Contributor

@Mothertrucker   I agree with you.  I have a chocolate chip recipe that only uses butter flavored Crisco, and they are delicious.  Butter doesn't work well for this recipe