Esteemed Contributor

Re: My KitchenAid Handheld Mixer died. :( Looking for..

I have a cheap Hamilton Beach that I've had over 20 years.  Nowadays, I rarely use it.  HSN had an inhouse (I think) brand that they really pushed many years ago.  I always said I would order one if mine ever died but that hasn't happened and I don't even know if they offer that brand any longer since I hardly watch.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My KitchenAid hand mixer is 20 years old and still works great. 
Last year I replaced my KitchenAid stand mixer that I bought in 1997. 
I can tell a difference between my old stand mixer and the new one. 

I had to replace my slow cooker last week. I bought the cheapest one I could find.

Nothing is made to last anymore. 

Honored Contributor

You speak the truth !

Esteemed Contributor

@amyb do you have the digital hand mixer ?

I have a KA digital hand mixer that's 14 yrs old, bought it here. It acted wonky once or twice when I plugged it in.  I did a hard "restart". Shut it off, pushed the reset on the GFI outlet it was plugged into and turned it back on.

That did the trick! Runs like new!

If that doesn't work, try plugging it into another outlet before pitching it.

Honored Contributor

I have a Cuisinart that's about ten years old.  It's ok.  Not great.  My main complaint is that you have to very careful to make sure the beaters are locked in (give them a tug) because they have a tendency to come off on their own.  Sometimes when you click them in, they're not actually locked in.  

Honored Contributor

I'd check reviews on Amazon.  You don't have to buy one there, but you will get an idea of what people think of new ones and it might weed out some real lemons.

Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@amyb do you have the digital hand mixer ?

I have a KA digital hand mixer that's 14 yrs old, bought it here. It acted wonky once or twice when I plugged it in.  I did a hard "restart". Shut it off, pushed the reset on the GFI outlet it was plugged into and turned it back on.

That did the trick! Runs like new!

If that doesn't work, try plugging it into another outlet before pitching it.

Yes! That's the one I have also...probably from around same timeframe, give or take a couple years. I know...it's so weird...and my instincts said "it's not dead"....so I did try some other outlets. It wasn't in an outlet that has a restart (what's GFI btw?)...but I will try troubleshooting. Also, just haven't taken the time to call KA yet...they may also advise a few things to do/check. Thank you for the feedback!

Respected Contributor

@deeva wrote:

My KitchenAid hand mixer is 20 years old and still works great. 
Last year I replaced my KitchenAid stand mixer that I bought in 1997. 
I can tell a difference between my old stand mixer and the new one. 

I had to replace my slow cooker last week. I bought the cheapest one I could find.

Nothing is made to last anymore. 

Exactly my thoughts on everything electronic now...my old appliances, gadgets etc, tend to work better, be of better quality than any of the new things (except a few high end like Vitamix, which I believe you pay for that kind of workmanship/quality, that might actually be "built to last") ...but with many products, we are stuck with lesser quality at higher prices. I try to buy as wisely as possible. Still like KA brand.

Esteemed Contributor

@amyb  a GFI outlet is typically in your kitchen and bathroom. It has the push button on the outlet to reset.

It's meant to trip (shut off) when overloaded, comes into contact with water, etc. Once tripped, you have to push the button to reset. 

Seems I also straightened/smoothed out the power cord as well.

That mixer is a workhorse! No idea what I would ever replace it with. 🤤

Honored Contributor

I don't bake much but I had a KitchenAid hand mixer that died pretty quick considering it did not get much use.  I replaced it with a Cuisnart hand mixer and it just keeps plugging along!  I would definitely get another if this one ever dies.