Respected Contributor

My KitchenAid Handheld Mixer died. :( Looking for..

recommendations for a handheld??

I've never gotten the stand mixer...condo kitchen and not a frequent baker to have it take up real estate on my limited counter space. But I loved having my handheld.  I bought it about 11 or 12 yrs ago, hardly ever used it, and never expected it to die at all, let alone this soon. I realize nothing lasts forever...still...I've had blenders and other electronics for over 20 years that didn't die.

I don't know the warranty time...I'll have to check...though I never sent in registration for that.

Don't know if I trust buying another KA, (though I love the brand)....what would all you bakers recommend?

TIA.

Respected Contributor

Re: My KitchenAid Handheld Mixer died. :( Looking for..

My experiences have taught me that even high priced small appliances die relatively quickly.  So, my motto is to buy cheap.  That includes hand held mixers, coffee makers, toasters, and irons.  JMO of course.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

@amyb  I would stick with KitchenAid. So far, my handheld mixer is doing great, and it's at least 10 y/o. Have you checked out their small version of the stand mixer? Sounds like the perfect size for your condo kitchen. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

My experiences have taught me that even high priced small appliances die relatively quickly.  So, my motto is to buy cheap.  That includes hand held mixers, coffee makers, toasters, and irons.  JMO of course.

That's what we do because the expensive ones don't last any longer than the cheap, especially toasters!

Esteemed Contributor

Contact Kitchen Aid- maybe it's a simple part that they may repair for small fee .

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a Hamilton Beach hand mixer that I love. It's about 10 years old and cost around $25. 

It has plenty of power, 6 speeds, two different sets of beaters, a whisk, and a storage box. It has a 275 watt motor.

They don't make my exact model now. A newer model comes with beaters, a whisk, and dough hooks, and a storage box. The latest model has 300 watts. 

Kitchen Aid and Cuisinart make hand mixers. I don't have any experience with them. They're more expensive, and I don't know if they are a lot better. Others could weigh in on that.

There's another brand I've seen reviewed positively by bakers/bloggers and it's VonShef. 

One thing I'd want to have for sure is a whisk attachment. It lets you whip cream or egg whites super fast!

Respected Contributor

@peachesncream wrote:

I have a Hamilton Beach hand mixer that I love. It's about 10 years old and cost around $25. 

It has plenty of power, 6 speeds, two different sets of beaters, a whisk, and a storage box. It has a 275 watt motor.

They don't make my exact model now. A newer model comes with beaters, a whisk, and dough hooks, and a storage box. The latest model has 300 watts. 

Kitchen Aid and Cuisinart make hand mixers. I don't have any experience with them. They're more expensive, and I don't know if they are a lot better. Others could weigh in on that.

There's another brand I've seen reviewed positively by bakers/bloggers and it's VonShef. 

One thing I'd want to have for sure is a whisk attachment. It lets you whip cream or egg whites super fast!

I actually just did an Amazon, BB&B, Macy's and Kohl's search...limited colors in KA (I don't want black or steel gray...white out everywhere!)(loved my banana yellow, but I'd take a white.). But I am considering either the HB or Cuisinart, the latter I saw at only about $35.00 at Kohl's. I did wonder about attachments, I didn't click on any to see if they came with any. That was a reason for my getting another KA, my attachements would probably still work on it. I will call KA, see if they offer any solution. Otherwise, I'll probably go for one of those others. I've seen many on screen cooks use that HB or Cuisinart products. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Cuisinart

Bed & Bath use 20% off coupon

No more then you cook, just go to walmart and get Hamilton Beach, Oster, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

I got a KitchenAid handheld mixer several years back from QVC.  The last few times I have used it, I had trouble getting it to start.  I may have to buy a new one too.  

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

I have had my KA hand held for over 15 years ...runs better than my KA stand mixer I bought 3 years ago🤷‍♀️

I am always sad I sold my Pro600 KA stand mixer that was 20+ years old worked great.

As for hand mixer, I'd buy Hamilton Beach or other brand since KA isn't what it "used" to be☹️ so why spend a lot.  I treat my small appliances now like everything else -- don't spend much as it probably won't last!!!