Frequent Contributor

Mrs. Prindables latest update

Hi all. I was just wondering if there was any update on the whole Listeria scare/outbreak this passed Holiday Season. I had purchased an order of the apples and ate 6 of them around the beginning of December so I was quite concerned when all this was all going on. They were delicious - as always and was so disappointed to throw away the other 6. I checked their site and here is the latest..

http://www.mrsprindables.com/news

Looks like the company is in the clear, which is good news. Smile

Super Contributor

Re: Mrs. Prindables latest update

Wish we could have known this sooner. I gave away half of mine before the story broke. Threw away the rest just to be safe. What a waste. Had to find several last minute gifts. Oh well. Live and learn I guess.
Honored Contributor

Yes, they determined the apple supplier was the cause. This is the updated infection list. Seven deaths. It makes me sad to think that a gift or treat can be deadly.

As of January 10, 2015, a total of 32 people infected with the outbreak strains of Listeria monocytogenes had been reported from 11 states.

Thirty-one ill people have been hospitalized, and seven deaths have been reported. Listeriosis contributed to at least three of these deaths.

Ten illnesses were pregnancy-related (occurred in a pregnant woman or her newborn infant), with one illness resulting in a fetal loss.

Three invasive illnesses (meningitis) were among otherwise healthy children aged 5–15 years.

To date, 25 (89%) of the 28 ill people interviewed reported eating commercially produced, prepackaged caramel apples before becoming ill.

The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) has identified 2 cases of listeriosis in Canada with the same PFGE patterns as seen in the U.S. outbreak.

PHAC is working with its provincial and territorial partners to determine the source of these illnesses.

This investigation is rapidly evolving, and new information will be provided as it becomes available.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Occasional Contributor

I must praise QVC I had received my Mrs. Pc's Apple's about a week or two before this news came out, they were going to be gifts for my co-workers. When I heard this scary news I immediately emailed QVC and expressed my concern and they responded and said they understood my concern, even though there was no evidence that Mrs P's were part of the scare. They did credit my account, no problem. I have to admit it broke my heart to throw out those apples, they looked so good. But I was just too scared to take a chance.??
Super Contributor

I knew that my Mrs. P's apples were safe to eat!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

They were mmm-mmm good!

My co-workers enjoyed them, too!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I'm glad that I didn't panic, and throw out perfectly good apples.

I always knew that if QVC even suspected that the apples were tainted, that they would have sent out a recall notice to their valued customers. After all, QVC, doesn't want their customers to get sick, and sue, right?

Right!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

I never wavered in my faith in Mrs Prindables, or QVC, and my family ate all of our apples with no fear. I did not even consider asking for a refund. The tainted apples involved are not even sold in my state.
Super Contributor

On 1/24/2015 RedTop said: I never wavered in my faith in Mrs Prindables, or QVC, and my family ate all of our apples with no fear. I did not even consider asking for a refund. The tainted apples involved are not even sold in my state.

I was exactly the same way as you, RedTop. My faith in Mrs. Prindables never waivered, even for one second, and I had no fear eating the apples, or giving them to my co-workers. I'm so glad that I didn't buy in to the fear and hysteria.

Frequent Contributor

I was thinking too that QVC would have posted a recall notice if they felt Mrs. Prindables was in any way included in the recall - that is a lawsuit in the making! But I was scared - everyone was making such a big deal and it wasn't worth getting seriously ill from an apple - that would be just my luck!

Respected Contributor

The news reports were clear that the tainted apples were not the made-to order variety like Mrs. P's and the ones that HSN sells. They were the prepackaged ones that you find on the counters of convenience stores. I had bought the ones fron HSN and had already eaten a few when the story broke. I didn't even consider throwing the rest away and I'm glad I didn't panic. They were delicious.
"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor

I had called QVC when it happened and inquired about it. The man I spoke to was so nice and told me he would simply credit me back. My husband continued to eat them.

Much to my surprise when I got my credit card bill he credited me back for three sets I had ordered!! Two of them I ordered the month before and sent as gifts! What a surprise----$150 back in my pocket and the apples were still eaten!! Amazing.