Respected Contributor

Modern Fridge Shopping Choas

I have spent the better part of 2 weeks shopping for a new fridge.  My brain is cross-eyed!  So many reviews, so many kinds, so many features.  What is with the prices too!?!?!  My 20-year-old Kenmore is dying a valiant death, so I figured I'd better replace her before she goes and now that I have, she will live forever!  I price my local Lowe's and Sear Home Town shop.  Sear's prices were better though the selection was smaller and financing super easy.  I also needed a 33" wide model to have plenty of airflow but a 36 would squeeze in touching the cabinets and wall on either side.  I just don't need a fridge the size of four plump 6 foot tall people.

I got a basic Kenmore French door model with an ice maker......that's all.  I originally was looking at side by sides, but gosh the ice makers got small and so did the inside.  I'm telling you, 8" may be good for somethings but not freezer shelf space.  I do like the openness of the French door models and benefit of narrow opening doors because my space is tight with a large 4'x12' old solid wood library table (one slab of wood) in my kitchen. I did get a deal on a bisque colored one instead of a white or stainless because that is what they had.  Original cost $2199 but I got it for $999 on clearance plus the extended 5-year warranty.  There were 4 to 4.5 solid stars at all places I looked the model up at.  Of course, there were some lemons, but mostly 4 and 5 stars with a few complaints of delivery and customer service.  I pays to read the reviews.  

I suggest anyone appliance shopping to go and visit places and check out the new features, talk to the clerks if they know anything, and take stock of your needs and wants plus your budget.  The move to the models with those features and solid reviews at multiple vendors online, then decide on the model and which place in your area has the best reviews or if you want to order online and get delivery.  I do recommend local options first since delivery service can be an issue in rural America.  I've got a truck/trailer and a friend, so we are good.

Honored Contributor

Re: Modern Fridge Shopping Choas

My mother's fridge died the week before labor day.  Apparently, August isn't a good month to by fridges.  I wasn't looking for anything fancy, but wanted stainless or black.  I scanned the big box stores inventory and it was pretty sad.  I ended up calling the small store were she got her last one and they could deliver in two days. I didn't want to go there because she had a bad delivery last time.  Got a sale price and delivery went perfectly.  I guess you'd call it an old fashioned fridge with the freezer on top in stainless.

Respected Contributor

Happened to stop at a mall in NJ this weekend and walked through a Sears that was “ final sales “.....the prices on their refrigerators were truly laughable.

$2300 ?   More than double what they were before close out !

Guess they will end up at JC Penney for a realistic sale price !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@Tigriss, I still like the bisque color the best. We got a stainless French door refrigerator in February. I really like the appliance, but have nothing but bad things to say about the stainless exterior. It always has streaks and fingerprints on the doors.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a small fridge space so had to get another side by side when my GE Monogram died last year....you are smart to replace one before it dies and you lose all your food....my new one is a black stainless steel....I wanted black again and they are hard to find now...I have never wanted stainless steel but the black stainless really blends in well with all my other appliances which are black. I would love the French door model...my DD has one and I love the inside space. I hope you love your new bisque fridge! 

Honored Contributor

When we did some updates in our kitchen I knew exactly what I wanted and searched only for my choice. I also chose to not buy into all the stupid bells & whistles they have on and in refridges these days not to mention the PRICE TAGS that go with.

There are only 2 of us here so we don't need a huge one. I dissed the SS fridge & range and went back to beautiful white. I was not spending tons on $$$ on either item. It is totally INSANE the options on a simple appliance to keep our food cold, to make ice in the freezer and not spew out all over the floor from the ice maker on the outside of the door. We have friends who's ice maker does this - SO ANNOYING AND MESSY!  There's literally more ice on the floor than in my glass!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And then like we REALLY need a freaking computer on my fridge door SERIOUSLY?????????????????????  Can you even imagine how much this will cost you in a repair if this tech thing goes out???????????????????? all just to make yout a grocery list? A computer on the fridge door does not at all mean any person in the household who just finished the carton of whole organic milk is going to remember to add it to the screen on the door no more than jotting it down on the list you'll take to the store.

My new one with no bells/whistles was still more than $1K. It keeps my food cold and makes ice in the bin in the freezer and it does not take up space. The white look great against grey walls.

Esteemed Contributor

I replaced ours two years ago.  The old Whirlpool side-by-side still worked, but as there was duct tape holding some things together and just in general yuckiness (it was clean, but not mine to begin with), and since I thought the "bisque" color was going to be hard to find going forward (maybe not?), I went ahead.

Wow, had fridge sizes changed.  I was not about to have upper cabinets cut out for the new one, nor did I need anything fancy.  It's in a major walk through area, so I  couldn't have anything stick out too far, and it sits at an angle to cabinets and the oven door; that had to be factored in.

I ended up with a small GE with recessed handles (they are in the side of the door).  It is surprising how jut that small touch made it seem sleek and modern.  I don't care to draw attention to what is essentially a box for keeping things cold, important as it is.  It's perfect.  Freezer on top, no ice maker.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

My first car - brand new - cost that back in 1972

@jlkz wrote:

Happened to stop at a mall in NJ this weekend and walked through a Sears that was “ final sales “.....the prices on their refrigerators were truly laughable.

$2300 ?   More than double what they were before close out !

Guess they will end up at JC Penney for a realistic sale price !

Trusted Contributor

We replaced our GE side-by-side a couple of years ago.  Cabinets above and a work table on one side with an upper/lower cabinet on the other side.  The measurements for space made it tough - really tough.  Picked Whirlpool that JUST fit.  Did not fit - upper cabinet removed and in the process the bumping against the work table side disturbed it to the point that the paint and wall were very damaged.   Upper cabinet required carpentry to get it right.  Geeminy!  Over a year with a black hole over the new fridge.  Anyway, husband hates new refrig; I like same. The damaged wall and paint still look horrible.  Obviously, their measurements were not as exact as my husband was counting on.  What a mess.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@Tigriss, I still like the bisque color the best. We got a stainless French door refrigerator in February. I really like the appliance, but have nothing but bad things to say about the stainless exterior. It always has streaks and fingerprints on the doors.

We just got a new refrigerator in August.   My appliances are black, so I definitely wanted something black.

We got the 'black stainless'.   I'll tell ya - you cannot put smudges or fingerprints on that thing no matter how hard you try (I tried, just for kicks).

I don't know how different the regular stainless is, but this surface is specifically made to avoid fingerprints and such.   The only tiny negative is that the front is not magnetic, so my magnets and mostly magnet hooks have to go on the sides.  Fortunately, that works fine for me as the side nearest the stove is where I hang a few things and it was good.

Plus, I like the new thing with no gaudy handles sticking out.  My old one was 18 years old, from when they still had those handles in the front.   

It's absolutely beautiful and sleek.