Respected Contributor

Mini Mushroom Package

[ Edited ]

Yesterday I did an online curbside grocery order. Whole white mushrooms on sale, 99 cents, in stock. Wow! Haven't seen that price for a long time. I assumed it was the standard 8 ounce package.

It was 6 ounces. I've never seen a 6 ounce package of white mushrooms. Is this the new normal?

Thank goodness they were fresh and firm. Didn't have to throw any out or cut away parts.

Honored Contributor

Re: Mini Mushroom Package

[ Edited ]

That seems to be a very good price.  Wegmans has a 6 oz container of "petite white mushrooms" for $1.99.  I don't know if 6 oz. is their normal size since I rarely buy them.

There was an item on the local news recently about mushroom growers in Kennett Square, PA (the "mushroom capital of the world").  Harvesting mushrooms is labor-intensive and mushrooms are dying in their beds because of - you guessed it - a labor shortage.  This is from Bloomberg:

"It’s unclear how the industry is going to solve its labor issue. Robots are a possibility, but a viable technology is at least three years away. The workforce is aging, and it’s a hands-on job with long hours. Wages are determined by the number of mushrooms picked, so new hires may bring back as little as $8 an hour. It all adds up to troubles in the near term."

The article notes that other jobs, like landscaping, construction work, and Amazon warehouse work is more attractive than harvesting mushrooms.

Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

Yesterday I did an online curbside grocery order. Whole white mushrooms on sale, 99 cents, in stock. Wow! Haven't seen that price for a long time. I assumed it was the standard 8 ounce package.

It was 6 ounces. I've never seen a 6 ounce package of white mushrooms. Is this the new normal?

Thank goodness they were fresh and firm. Didn't have to throw any out or cut away parts.

@PickyPicky3  I bought mushrooms today and I noticed that the package was smaller than usual.

Respected Contributor

I once took a tour of a mushroom farm in Kennett Square and hated it. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to work in dirt under low light conditions. 

Go robots!!

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I once took a tour of a mushroom farm in Kennett Square and hated it. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to work in dirt under low light conditions. 

Go robots!!

@PickyPicky3  Most people have to have jobs and not all are pleasant.  My grandfather was a miner way way back.