Respected Contributor

I need a new set of everyday dishes. I'm looking at Mikasa Antique White or Corelle Winter Frost White. I want white because I thought I might be able to dress it up and use on holidays.  I don't have much cabinet space and have to downsize. Right now I'm using a set of Polish china that I've had for years as everyday dishes. I also have another set of Polish china from Favolina in my china cabinet that I have;n't used in years. I'd like one set that could be used for everything. Which is better Mikasa or Corelle? I know Corelle is lead free. I couldn't find out about Mikasa. I have a tile floor so no matter what I get they will brake if dropped!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

I need a new set of everyday dishes. I'm looking at Mikasa Antique White or Corelle Winter Frost White. I want white because I thought I might be able to dress it up and use on holidays.  I don't have much cabinet space and have to downsize. Right now I'm using a set of Polish china that I've had for years as everyday dishes. I also have another set of Polish china from Favolina in my china cabinet that I have;n't used in years. I'd like one set that could be used for everything. Which is better Mikasa or Corelle? I know Corelle is lead free. I couldn't find out about Mikasa. I have a tile floor so no matter what I get they will brake if dropped!

The MIkasa is porcelain dinnerware and can easily go from casual to formal.  It has lots of pieces to go with it, and I think coordinates with older patterns like Mikasa Renaissance White, Italian White, and others.  It is beautiful!  I had set of the white in th e1980s and it was classic and beautiful for many years!  Porcelain is great and sturdy -- more so than earthen ware and ironstone.

THe Corelle is basically glass, and to me feels like glass when you drink out of the cups or use utensils on it.  I had it when I got married a million years ago, and never really liked it.  That being said LOTS of people love it.  It is break resistant but really shatters when you drop it.

I'd vote for the Mikasa if you love traditional "dishes" and the feel and strength of porcelain.  You can mix and match it with other dishes easily.  

Have you seen and held both choices you've mentioned???

Hope you find something you love!

Honored Contributor

It's the Mikasa Italian Countryside, French Countryside and English Countryside sets I'm thinking of that my Renaissance White (you can see pieces on e-bay) went with.  It is a softer white than a bright blue white, and all these sets coordinate and I think they are beautiful.

I still have a few bowls of the Italian Pattern And I have a set of the glasses that look much like a set Ina Garten has.  They are French Countryside--that's the stemware pattern! 

Esteemed Contributor

CORELLE....i  have had them for years.....have held up great and always look good.....

Honored Contributor

I like Corelle because it's lightweight. Easier for me to unload the dishwasher & put back in the cabinets. Yes it will break if you drop it on the floor. I dropped a plate & it shattered into pieces. I had pieces of it all over the kitchen, clear into the dining room & some pieces were in the hallway.

Respected Contributor

I remember attending a party once when a friend of the hostess arrived with a really huge, thick bandage on his lower arm.  Stitches were needed.

He severed something when he tried to pick up pieces of a shattered Corelle or Corning Ware container.  Those shards are extraordinarily razor sharp.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

1.  Cost...is cost a factor.  The Corelle will be cheaper get and replace.

2. Space, the Mikasa bowls are wide lipped, so they will take up more space than the Corelle.

3. I like the pattern on the Mikasa that will work well from casual to formal, but the Corelle won't.

I take issue with the bowl shape of both, but I prefer a deep, 5-6" diameter bowl, like a good cereal/pasta bowl.

Check out the pattern Cherish and Corelle's site.  It is the same shape and color as the Winter Frost White, but it has a pattern on the edge for a bit of umph.  It comes in square and round if you like.  If you sign up, you can get 20% off your order.  It is a popup that came up when I went to their site.

Image result for Corelle® Boutique™ Cherish

Respected Contributor

I love Corelle.  I have had numerous patterns throughout my 42 years of marriage.  I use two patterns now that coordinate with each other.  I love it because it is durable, lightweight and easy to load in the dishwasher.

It does break occasionally, but not very often.  I am not a dressy type of person though.  Everyday stuff is more me.

I used stoneware for a short time and hated the thickness and weight of it.  I went back to Corelle.

Honored Contributor

Just prior to getting married in 1981 I picked up a set of Mikasa at JC Penny's for our everyday use.  I loved them but after 18 years of marriage I left them with my ex for him to continue using.  This summer at my 33 year old son's home I found some of the remaining plates ect.. that had not been broken over the decades.  I could not resist having my lunch on one of my old plates that was older than my son who just prepared my meal.  Now he asks me every time if I want one of those plates to eat on. 

Corelle is good too but I never thought they were as nice as Mikasa.  The Corelle I had was very thin back then.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Just prior to getting married in 1981 I picked up a set of Mikasa at JC Penny's for our everyday use.  I loved them but after 18 years of marriage I left them with my ex for him to continue using.  This summer at my 33 year old son's home I found some of the remaining plates ect.. that had not been broken over the decades.  I could not resist having my lunch on one of my old plates that was older than my son who just prepared my meal.  Now he asks me every time if I want one of those plates to eat on. 

Corelle is good too but I never thought they were as nice as Mikasa.  The Corelle I had was very thin back then.

That reminds me that the set of Mikasa white dishes I had were my "good" dishes for many many years, and yes, they are sturdy.  Then I saw another set of "good" dishes I wanted and used them as our everyday dishes for many more years.  You really can dress them up or down and mix and match them with many other dishes.  I love to use different salad plates.  

Good memories of those dishes!