Honored Contributor

Diagrams That Will Make You A Cooking Master 12

Do you have a favorite microwave hack to share?  

I do the sponge + bacteria one, but I only do one minute- not two.

Honored Contributor

I use the one to soften brown sugar.

Honored Contributor

Re: Microwave Hacks

[ Edited ]

Interesting piece.  I love the dichotomy between how old-timey it looks and how new-timey is the advice (i.e. they didn't have microwaves back then).

I know - I notice the weirdest stuff.  Anyway, just for kicks, I copied it and I thank You!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I boil my contact lens case in a one cup Pyrex measure

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

This is the only way I've cooked corn on the cob since I saw this You Tube video about easy shucking.  It works!

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

There are some useful suggestions on that chart.  Thanks for posting @lolakimono

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I also do corn on the cob effortlessly with the microwave.

I used to nuke my sponges, but checked the wrapper of the Scotchbrite sponges and it said to boil them to sanitize them, so that's what I do now. Sometimes I hold off on a batch until I've got a bunch of eggs to hard boil, remove the eggs when they're done and slip the sponges into the hot water to save on heating up a new pot. If any of the eggs have cracked during cooking, though, I start with fresh water.

I'd like to note that you should carefully check the temperature gauge on the infographic when following these hints. It's often "medium," which I read as 50% power. It doesn't say the wattage of the oven these are calibrated for, but from the tips I've already used, I'd think a 1000 or 1100 watt oven would be fine.

Very handy and great ideas, @lolakimono. Thanks for posting!