Respected Contributor

Re: Make your own cake flour or learn how to get the original size cake flour weight again

On 2/3/2015 nc girl said:

I emailed both Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker over a year ago and received replies from both which were unsatisfactory to me. Basically, they said that there should be no difference in the finished result between the 15.25 oz. cake and the 18 oz. even though that was not my experience and that was what I was writing to them about to begin with. I am the desert maker in my large extended family and make many cakes using doctored up cake mixes. Last year I found some discontinued Duncan Hines mixes at Big Lots and bought as many as I could fit into my freezer. I used the last mix this weekend and am now in a dilemma about how to make my special cakes. I appreciate those of you who have offered up some suggestions about things to try. Isn't it crazy, though, that we would have to make these adjustments on our own???? Baking is an exact science and you'd think the manufacturers would "get" how this downsizing issue messes with our baking. Because of this, I would think that they would sell fewer and fewer cake mixes resulting in a loss on there bottom line. Crazy, huh?!!

nc girl--I totally agree with you. I only make doctored cakes. I do have the recipe to make my own cake mixes but don't always want to do that. If you continue to buy Duncan Hines cake mixes at the new weight, 16.5 oz., you should only have to add 3 1/2 tablespoons of flour or flour/cocoa mixed together to get the same result. Pillsbury and Betty Crocker went down to 15.25 oz so when you use those brands, you will need to add 6 tablespoons of flour or flour/cocoa mixed together.

Contributor

Re: Make your own cake flour or learn how to get the original size cake flour weight again

Thank you, Meezerpleeser, I will try your adjustments for the flour. That's an easy answer. Hope I get the same results as you have. Do I need to add any extra liquid, baking powder or egg? Just wondering...