Honored Contributor

Easy for me to remember since they are 2 of the 3 cookies I never eat; fig newtons being the other.  I am allergic to egg whites, which makes it easy to avoid these cookies.  

Honored Contributor

@RedTop 

Don't all cookies have egg whites?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

One day at work my Spanish-speaking coworker arrived all upset. She was going on and on, talking really fast with every other word in Spanish. No one could quite make out what she was saying and all we knew for sure was something was terribly wrong. She told us she had to leave but would come back later. 

After she left everyone was trying to figure out what happened and the story went around that her young son had suffered a very bad seizure at school that morning and that she had to go to get him.

She returned to work later that morning and people were going up to her saying they were sorry about her son's seizures. Then with a shocking face she replied something like:  "What are you talking about? No, my son did not have a seizure! My son is upset with me because I tried to cut his hair with a pair of scissors to give him a Caesars-style haircut and it didn't turn out the way he wanted so he skipped school out of embarrassment and I had to go and find him." 

You had to have been there. A story that got so twisted that it became an inside joke there for a very long time. 

@SouthernBee 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee : Thank you. I needed a good laugh.I have one Spanish friend and she is very difficult to understand but especially when she is excited or upset.  My DH had rotator cuff surgery yesterday. Everything great but he is in a lot of pain. 

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee 

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your hubby.

Honored Contributor

Re: Macaroon vs. Macaron

[ Edited ]

ooo! I love macarons! I love them and never knew what they were called! So thank you @house_cat  for this exceptional chart😄

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SouthernBee 

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your hubby.

@SilleeMee : Thank you. He has dealt with a lot and of course with Covid changed priorities for surgery. The surgical waiting room had several other  men scheduled for rotator cuff surgery. I was relieved that DH was first. ♥️

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

My allergy is to egg whites in pure form, and these cookies are made with whipped egg whites, just like angel food cake, and meringue for pies, which I don't eat.   I don't eat the white of a deviled egg either.  I can eat yolks all day, and whole eggs in cakes, cookies, meatloaf, etc., doesn't bother me.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop 

Thanks for clearing that up... I was a little confused.  I've developed several food sensitivities in the last few years, so I'm very interested in what others have to say.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Easy for me to remember since they are 2 of the 3 cookies I never eat; fig newtons being the other.  I am allergic to egg whites, which makes it easy to avoid these cookies.  

@RedTop I have never understood why anyone would bother with a fig newton.