Honored Contributor

Re: Looking For A Corningware Casserole

@ECBG ...........The only reason I want one is to sell it for 10 grand!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

$10,000.00.  It. is. a. flippen. dish.  My family would take me to have my head examined.

Respected Contributor

I pick up all my Corningware at yard sales and thrift shops. Good sane prices there.

Respected Contributor

I get what seems like daily emails from Corning Instant Brands & I got one this AM for what I guess is a new line of Corning cast aluminum pieces.  They showed a 3.5 qt roaster & also this 5.7 qt. roaster w/lid for $60.

French White® QuickHeat 5.7-quart Roaster with Lid

Esteemed Contributor

Love my blue cornflower and French white corningware!  I ditched some of my circa early 70s pieces over the years and then a few years ago repurchased them on Ebay.  No, I didn't have to pay $10,000 for any of them lol. 

The reason I went back to real Corningware was because there is no cracking, crazing, etc. and you don't have to baby it.  Put an ice cold piece right into the hot oven and no problem.  But as @chickenbutt said, it has to be the original pyroceram Corningware.  If I remember right, that stuff was developed for the space program.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

A bit of Corningware history:

Although Corning already produced a type of glass cookware called Pyrex (the first glass cookware, introduced in 1915), they had a much different vision for Pyroceram: national defense. In fact, Corning had been making glass products for the military since the Civil War. Now it was the Cold War, and the United States and the Soviet Union were both building and stockpiling nuclear missles. The military was interested in any new technology that would allow weapons to withstand the rapid temperature changes to which they would be subjected while hurtling through the atmosphere. Pyroceram, it turned out, was the perfect material to use for the missles’ nose cones, which took the brunt of the damage. Corning pitched the idea to defense companies such as Hughes Aircraft and Raytheon, and was awarded huge contracts. Over the next 20 years, thousands of nuclear and ballistic missles with Pyroceram noses were built. In the 1970’s, the same technology was adapted to build the heat tiles that now cover NASA’s fleet of space shuttles.

After winning the contracts, Corning started looking around for other uses for Pyrocream. In 1957 they decided to put it in America’s kitchens. CorningWare dishes were an easy sell: they were the only type of cookware that could be used in the oven or the freezer, or put directly from one into the other without cracking. In short, they were the most versatile dishes ever made.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Along with my return to Corelle, I stated I was also returning to Pyrex. DH mentioned he wasn't a fan of clear glass, which kind of surprised me that he even had an opinion on bakeware.  Now I'm rethinking and will likely search for Corningware. Early in our marriage we had a good size set of the Wildflower pattern. I would be very happy to find some second hand Wildflower pieces again, or Cornflower, or French White.  

Coincidentally, today on a local sale page on Facebook, a Cornflower Pig was listed for $225. I'm not familiar with the piece. It's not even a bank, that I can tell, just a decoration.  He/she is kinda cute but not $225 bucks worth of cute. 🐷