Trusted Contributor

I've never heard of Millionaire pie but it looks and sounds Yummy.

Valued Contributor

@Mom2Dogs - I am not a graham cracker crust fan either.  Keebler makes a shortbread crust that I bet would work for this.  Sometimes they are hard to find.  

Respected Contributor

good evening everyone. ecbg. i never hurd of that pie but it looks good. it looks like it would be good when its warm out. it looks very good. if you done mind. could you post the recipe?  thank you.  or send a pie to all of us posters. lol.  just kidding. today allmost 70 degrees and mostly sunny but alot of rain is coming for tonight and tomorrow. we went grocery shopping this morning but one of the main stores we shop at stop and shop is on strike so we went to a different small store. i have 2 ricotta pies in oven and 2 more waitiing to get baked. hope everyone has a great holiday weekend.

Honored Contributor

@ceekay ....now shortbread...I can do that!  Is it a frozen item, similar to a pillsbury pie crust?   ..I usually make my own crusts but the shortbread sounds delicious.

Valued Contributor

Re: Look At That Pie!!!

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs  - it is in the same place as the graham cracker crusts.  All made and ready to use!  I use them for a pineapple pie recipe from Mr. Food.  Hope you can find the crusts.  I have gotten them at Walmart and Publix.  

I think this link is ok and won't get poofed.

https://www.keebler.com/en_US/cookies-and-more/ready-crust/shortbread-pie-crust.html

Honored Contributor

Here is another version:

Millionaire Pie

Inspired by Furr's famous Millionaire Pie. With a pecan crust and smooth pineapple filling, this version tastes a MILLION times better than the original!

Course Dessert
Cuisine American
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 6 hours
Total Time 6 hours 25 minutes
Servings 8 servings
Calories 487 kcal
Ingredients
For the Crust:
  • 12 pecan shortbread cookies such as Pecan Sandies, broken into pieces
  • 1/2 cups pecans chopped
  • 2 tablespoons butter melted
For the Pie Filling:
  • 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple drained
  • 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
  • Salt
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 (3 ounce) box pineapple-flavored gelatin
  • 1 cup frozen pineapple juice concentrate thawed
  • 2 cups heavy cream chilled
Instructions
For the Crust:
  1. Adjust an oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, process cookies and pecans into fine crumbs. Add butter and process until combined. 

2. Using the bottom of a measuring cup, pack crumbs into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Refrigerate until firm, about 20 minutes.

3. Bake until lightly browned and fragrant, about 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature.

For the Pie Filling:
  1. In medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook drained pineapple, 1/4 cup sugar, and a pinch of salt, stirring occasionally until the pineapple is lightly browned and the liquid evaporates, about 15 minutes. 

2. In a food processor, process pineapple mixture until smooth, about one minute. Set aside. In medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.

3. In medium sauce pan, combine gelatin and 1/2 cup of pineapple juice concentrate. Allow to sit until the gelatin softens, about 5 minutes.  Cook over medium heat until the gelatin dissolves and the mixture is very hot but not boiling, about 2 minutes. 

4. Whisking vigorously, slowly add the gelatin mixture to the egg yolks. Return the yolk mixture to the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. 

5. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining 1/2 cup pineapple juice concentrate and processed pineapple mixture. Pour mixture into a bowl and refrigerate until set, about 1 1/2 hours.

6. Meanwhile, in a standing mixer, whip heavy cream with remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar on medium-high speed to stiff peaks, about 3 minutes.

7. Working with 1 cup of whipped cream at a time, fold 2 cups whipped cream total into chilled pineapple mixture. Scrape mixture into cooled crust and smooth the top.

8. Top with remaining whipped cream. Refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours or overnight. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.

Recipe Notes

Adapted from Cook's Country Blue Ribbon Desserts.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I love pie and have never had that type...maybe I will have to make one!!  I have never been a fan of graham cracker crust but willing to give it another try.

@Mom2Dogs When I was quite young, I remember the mixture I posted put in merangue cups.  If it was my childhood, that it would have been folded with real whipped cream.

You could easily surve this in a champaign or small wine glass with a few chooped nuts on top. Don't use the crust or use a cool baked pastry.  It would be lovely!Smiley Happy