Valued Contributor

Lock and Lock refrigerator to microwave

I have a set of L&L that says it can be used in the microwave. if I take the food that I had put it in which was in the refrigerator, can I then put it in the microwave to heat it. Do I have to wait until the plastic holder is not cold but at room temp before I put it in the mictowave. Just want to heat up some food . 

Honored Contributor

Re: Lock and Lock refrigerator to microwave

Of course you can

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

It is fine to heat a lock n lock container and contents in a microwave,

It can go straight from fridge to microwave.

2 cautions:

wouldn't microwave anything in tomato sauce - I have and the result was permanentt staining and pitting of inside of lock n lock. 

use the cover of container , placed upside down, over the container in the microwave to keep heat in and prevent splatters

Honored Contributor

@namaste000

A quick spray of bleach takes tomato stains out of the plastic

@namaste000 wrote:

It is fine to heat a lock n lock container and contents in a microwave,

It can go straight from fridge to microwave.

2 cautions:

wouldn't microwave anything in tomato sauce - I have and the result was permanentt staining and pitting of inside of lock n lock. 

use the cover of container , placed upside down, over the container in the microwave to keep heat in and prevent splatters

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I own many pieces of Lock n Lock, and think labeling this product as microwaveable, is misleading.   

Yes, the plastic is durable enough to withstand the heating of food inside the microwave, but starting with the first time the piece is heated, the heat does permanent damage to the piece of Lock n Lock.   My daughters ruined several of my small cereal size bowls shortly after I received them, and they are our designated microwave bowls now.   There will be a point when I just toss the bowl in the trash due to the degree of melting/pitting from the heat.  

Honored Contributor

Plastic never holds up well in the microwave. 

And regardless of what they say, I don't trust the chemicals that are/may be in any plastic, to not get in the food when heated like that. 

And I agree, any tomato sauce based food stains Lock and Lock, even a little bit when not heated, and nothing gets it out entirely, not bleach or vinegar even, especially if it has been heated. 

Honored Contributor

I found they did not do well in the freezer either.  I am back to Rubbermaid.  

Honored Contributor

I don't put L&L in the microwave, not because of any fear of chemicals but because one time it somewhat melted the bowl. I just transfer the food to a ceramic or stoneware vessel.

But I have to say that in all the years that we've been using L&L, we have never had a problem with permanent staining. If there is any red from a tomato-based sauce, I rinse it well and put it in the dishwasher. It comes out perfectly stain-free.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland