Valued Contributor

Re: Listeria outbreak in commercially prepared caramel apples

On 12/20/2014 CandyP said:

Well I believe Mrs. Prindable's are safe, but I still can't give them as gifts as originally planned. No one would trust them and they would think I was crazy, then throw them out. I wouldn't blame them.

I feel the same way. I guess I will have to toss mine out. Thank God I didn't hand any out yet, although they probably are o.k. But how can you be sure?
Not applicable

I think the Mrs. Prindable's apples are ok. If they were affected, then I would expect to see cases in all 50 states, not just 10. And I think the first person to become ill would have been Sharon Faetsch since she was doing all of the food shows. But I agree, I won't be giving any of them as gifts because of this attention from the media that is so sketchy. Too bad because they are delicious.

Honored Contributor

Normally this would be a great little gift to give out. At this particular moment, though, you'd be more likely to get a reaction like this:

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Not applicable

Several weeks ago (thus several weeks before the recent news about the listeria outbreak), I received a dozen Mrs. Prindables apples. Luckily, I gave only 2 as gifts, and (unfortunately) my friends ate them within a day (and I ate the remaining 10 over the next week--went "wild", since I only have these delectable treats once every year or two). I had intended to give another apple to an elderly friend who is in poor health and immunocompromised, but fate intervened. So far, all 3 of us who ate my shipment are fine. Had I known about the outbreak prior, I never would have eaten even one or given any to friends. As someone in the field of public health (but NOT an employee of CDC), I do believe that given the present evidence provided to us as consumers, those who ate Mrs. Prindables purchased via QVC are not likely to develop listeria as a result of those apples. The lack of cases linked to QVC (thus far), especially in the context of the large volume of apples sold by QVC (and likely eaten by recipients) in a relatively brief time period, help to rule out Mrs. Prindables apples as a source for the listeria.Of course, should anyone have symptoms, it is always best to seek medical attention. According to CDC, "Although people can sometimes develop listeriosis up to 2 months after eating contaminated food, symptoms usually start within several days."

http://www.cdc.gov/listeria/outbreaks/caramel-apples-12-14/signs-symptoms.html

However, I also think CDC is exercising good judgement to encourage people to avoid all commercial caramel apples until more details are known.And I agree with all of you that QVC should politely and quickly provide refunds for this product when requested. If Mrs. Prindables is ultimately given "a clean bill of health", it will be sad if this outbreak (and the associated fear and worry) puts them out of business.

Super Contributor

On 12/19/2014 Lala04 said:
On 12/19/2014 Kachina624 said:
On 12/19/2014 daisey10 said:

In July I ate plums tinted with listeria and I was sick for about 3 wks. I can't eat fresh fruit because I am afraid. I bought the plums at Wegmans and they called to alert me. I had already been sick for a week when I received the call.

How does a grocery store know how to contact a customer who bought a plum?

My grocery store (Safeway) knows more about me than I do!

I used my shoppers card to check out so everything you buy is recorded. They knew the exact day I bought them.

Honored Contributor

On 12/20/2014 Bank Lady said:

I think the Mrs. Prindable's apples are ok. If they were affected, then I would expect to see cases in all 50 states, not just 10. And I think the first person to become ill would have been Sharon Faetsch since she was doing all of the food shows. But I agree, I won't be giving any of them as gifts because of this attention from the media that is so sketchy. Too bad because they are delicious.

I have to agree about Sharon, she would definitely be patient zero for Mrs. P.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Not applicable

My husband and I ate them as did all our friends and we are all fine. They were delicious.
Respected Contributor

On 12/21/2014 Walck said: My husband and I ate them as did all our friends and we are all fine. They were delicious.

Glad you're fine but has it been 70 days since you ate them?

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Super Contributor

On 12/19/2014 lory said: Well the problem is that even if Mrs. P's are not infected, can you imagine how people will feel if they receive them as a gift? They will throw them out for sure.
Empathy for the Mrs. P gift recipient(s)......excellent point.
Honored Contributor

It took months for the CDC to track down the issue with the cantalopes a few years ago. I'm afraid this will linger on long after people need to order for Valentine's Day and Easter.

I think we're going to see a lot more of Cheryl's cookies in 2015.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN