Honored Contributor

Let's Share Kitchen Goofs!

[ Edited ]

Any goof you remember, (you are totally forgiven).  Sometimes we have a three ring circus going around us as we cook.  Other times, loaded with details, we do something and shake our heads after!!!  

Know the feeling???  Share and we'll all laugh together!

My goof, not the only one in my life was tonight.  I had some snow peas in a little water in a pyrex bowl, 7/8 covered with saran wrap to vent, and set the microwave 10 minutes!  I never could get mine to be as done or taste as good as my grandmother's!  I had the phone ringing, DH cutting fat from chicken wings, and our pup, Shadow terrified of the new grill and the heating up noise.

The pyrex bowl shattered,  the snow peas were burned to a lovely crisp!  I cleaned it up and breathed!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Let's Share Kitchen Goofs!

[ Edited ]

Took a homemade sweet potato pie out of the oven in a tin pan by the edges of the pan not the baking sheet it was on.

Needless to say the pie collapsed inward.  There was pie all over the oven door, oven floor and kitchen floor. .  Needless to say I laid in the bed with a pillow over my head until it cooled enough to clean it up

Esteemed Contributor

Pyrex shatters often from the stories I have heard. Glad it was not more dangerous.

Respected Contributor

@hopi wrote:

Took a homemade sweet potato pie out of the oven in a tin pan by the edges of the in pan not the baking sheet it was on.

Needless to say the pie collapsed inward.  There was pie all over the oven door, oven floor and kitchen floor. .  Needless to say I laid in the bed with a pillow over my head until it cooled enough to clean it up

I would have reacted exactly the same way.

Respected Contributor

My daughter was about 12 and was learning to cook. She used to complain that "if you can read (the cookbook) you can cook".

The task for the day was a boxed pineapple upside down cake. The mixing process went smoothly and then into the oven. 

After a while I checked the oven. To my surprise there was a toothpick standing at attention in the center of the cake. After my laughter, she pointed out the box directions: BAKE UNTIL WOODEN STICK INSERTED IN CENTER, COMES OUT CLEAN!

Trusted Contributor

@granddi  That is too cute!  😀

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

My daughter was about 12 and was learning to cook. She used to complain that "if you can read (the cookbook) you can cook".

The task for the day was a boxed pineapple upside down cake. The mixing process went smoothly and then into the oven. 

After a while I checked the oven. To my surprise there was a toothpick standing at attention in the center of the cake. After my laughter, she pointed out the box directions: BAKE UNTIL WOODEN STICK INSERTED IN CENTER, COMES OUT CLEAN!

My daughter tried making pancakes in the microwave.  I still tell the story just to embarrass her.  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

@granddi Is this story true?  It sounds like something you would read!!!!!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Decades ago, relatively newly married, I loved to try different dishes.  One called for "a couple of drops of Tabasco sauce".  I'd never used that before, but bought a small bottle of it.

Well, I shook the narrow-necked bottle, but it didn't seem to me that anything came out.  So I just kept shaking...I doubt that I have to tell you what our first and last taste of that dish was like!  (And I don't like hot dishes to begin with.)  It about burned our mouths off.

But he's my ex, so it all worked out.  (I don't think that dish had anything to do with him exiting my life!) Woman Wink 

Honored Contributor

Making cookies for the holidays, I made a triple batch of cookies and had everythi g measured and ready to mix.  I got a phone call and had only mixed half the sugar and must have set the bowl with the rest down  and forgot about it.  I've also in my clumsiness, dropped/dumped huge bowls of filling for lady lock cookies after spending much time whipping.