Esteemed Contributor

I know it has been discussed about cake mixes being downsized, but now  sugar is 4lbs not 5 lbs.  I recently got dry pasta (can't remember the brand) that was 12 oz. and noticed some bacon is now 12oz too not a pound. Do they think they are really pulling one over on the consumer? I think I would rather have companies be honest and give me 5 lbs. of sugar at a little higher price instead of acting like I'm to dumb to notice the smaller size. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Sugar being sold in 4# bags is not new - this started quite a few years ago. Thank goodness they haven't downsized 10# bags, which is what I usually buy.

Respected Contributor

Re: Less Product Same Price

[ Edited ]

Sugar has been in 4# bags for a long time - way over 5 years to my recollection...

Valued Contributor

Scotties tissues has gone from 120 count boxes to 110 count & their 250 count boxes to 230 count. ☹

Esteemed Contributor

I agree about the four-pound bags of sugar being the norm for awhile now, and pasta has been sold in different volumes based on its size/shape for a long time as well.

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I know it has been discussed about cake mixes being downsized, but now  sugar is 4lbs not 5 lbs.  I recently got dry pasta (can't remember the brand) that was 12 oz. and noticed some bacon is now 12oz too not a pound. Do they think they are really pulling one over on the consumer? I think I would rather have companies be honest and give me 5 lbs. of sugar at a little higher price instead of acting like I'm to dumb to notice the smaller size. 

@CrazyKittyLvr2

What’s so dishonest about it?

Are the companies misrepresenting the product or weight?

Valued Contributor

i believe that companies think they are pulling one over, as they think a lot of people do not  read a lot of the product packaging.

it has always been buyer beware. sadly, this has been going on for a long time, with all types of products in grocery stores. they have to have a way to keep over paying executives, their legal fees and their perks.

i too would rather pay more for the size/amount that we are accustomed to.

Respected Contributor

Has anyone noticed that peanut butter jars are concave on the bottom too?  It doesn't seem like a big difference, but if the company can reduce the amount by 2-3 tablespoons in each jar, it really adds up to be a huge savings for the company.

I have even noticed that some brands of toilet paper are not a wide as others.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

How about cereal?....One box only lasts 3 days in my house....

I think Cheerios and Rice Krisspies are the only ones that still come in a large box...

Super Contributor

And potato chips, which I love, hence my nickname.  You get a bag full of air....but I still buy them.  LOL