Not applicable

Hopefully, this will be helpful to some of you...In error, I placed the lid on my bowl which contained hot food. The seal quickly locked and I was unable to break the vacuum seal on my Lock and Lock bowl after trying to pry it loose with a butter knife, letting it cool, and running warm water around the rim along the seal. As a last resort prior to throwing it away, I tried placing it in my microwave for a few seconds (approx. 30 sec.) and it worked! The lid came off easily, no tugging involved!! I'm glad I didn't have to throw away my bowl. Other than this, I LOVE these bowls!!

Honored Contributor

Re: LOCKED Lock and Lock Bowl

I have done this more than once and had to pry the lid off with a wide blade screwdriver twisted into the seam. This is a pretty good way to stab yourself, so next time I'm doing it your way!

Esteemed Contributor

A few years ago, I was warming my dinner in a Lock'n Lock bowl in the microwave. I couldn't open it -- so I tossed it out - with my dinner. Now, when I heat something in the microwave, I turn the lid over so it can't seal.

Respected Contributor

That is a great tip, thanks. I just recently heated something in a L and L bowl (without the lid) then set the lid on top to keep it warm while I was getting the plates, out, etc. I heard this Suuuuuuccccccckkkkkkking sound and it had sealed itself. Used a knife to open it but it was a task indeed. Will use your method next time. Smile

Honored Contributor

Good tip. Thank you. I have two large L&L bowls with handled lids. I posted recently about one of them leaking, but another problem with them is that they get stuck inside each other when I store them. I don't mean a little bit stuck.. I mean S T U C K! I almost resorted to throwing them away. Maybe I'll try the microwave next time.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I've been using L&L containers for many years now. I've never had a problem with anything getting caught in it. I've never had a problem with any of my breaking either. Love my L&L's!

"Pure Michigan"
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you! It worked perfectly. I put hot soup into large bowl and it sealed tight in refrigerator overnight.. Thank goodness I checked here before we wrecked the bowl with screwdriver or burned ourselves by trying to heat it in hot water bath as suggested in some other forums. This worked like a charm!!! Love my lock & lock!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

Good tip. Thank you. I have two large L&L bowls with handled lids. I posted recently about one of them leaking, but another problem with them is that they get stuck inside each other when I store them. I don't mean a little bit stuck.. I mean S T U C K! I almost resorted to throwing them away. Maybe I'll try the microwave next time.

@house_cat - Try running hot water over the "seam" where the bottom bowl meets the top bowl; it might take a minute or so, but you should be able to pull the bowls apart (sometimes you might want to wiggle/slide them a bit rather than pulling straight) as the heat affects the plastic and the air that has been sealed between them. Good luck!

ETA: When you store them again, you could also try sliding an index card or small piece of paper between them on one side, leaving part sticking out so you can still see it. This might help prevent a vacuum from forming so you can easily separate them later and should still allow them to nest.

Thank you!! I had to heat the bowl for 30 seconds 3 times, and the lid finally popped off in the microwave. whew!