Trusted Contributor

Isn't this spill stopper the same as the one Kuhn Rikon had several years ago.  I remember it stayed on Lunchtime and Primetime Specials for months.  We were begging everyone to buy one so it would go away.Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: Kochblume Spill Stoppers

You are correct.  It was the Kuhn Rikon spill stopper. 

Perhaps Kuhn Rikon bought Kochblume, or Kochblume bought Kuhn Rikon.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, they are essentially the same product from different companies. And they really do work well as long as you do not need to check or stir the items in your boiling pot; as soon as you do that, you have a mess. I'd have to say that the spill stopper is the only Kuhn Rikon item I've ever purchased that was a dud.

Respected Contributor

When they were demonstrating it and showed that you could steam food on the top, they put a lid over it and the water started to bubble out over the side of the pot.  They immediately took the lid of the top.  You cannot put a lid over it or it will bubble over as there is no way for the steam to get out.  It was so funny.

Honored Contributor

I bought the one by Kuhn Rikon years ago.  I think it came to over $20. and was one of the worst items I have purchased from KR.  In order to check your pasta or whatever, you have to lift it up, so it makes a mess.  Finally gave it away a couple of years ago.  Not a good item at all in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

These were the only kitchen item I ever returned to QVC. Very messy and nearly caused me to be scalded.  I recommend passing on these.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I am a kitchen gadget fanatic, and remember when Kuhn Rikon sold these. I loved the colors, and was tempted to buy, but was glad I waited because many of the reviews warned not to. I heeded the warning.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have the Kochblume version and I adore this thing.  I use it boiling spaghetti and it sure beats cleaning up a burned on spillover.  I've never had it fail.  

Edit:  I have learned how to check contents without burning myself and I don't have to slide the pot off the heat.  It is so automatic that I can't even think how I do it right now.  

Valued Contributor

I have two of the Kuhn Rikon spill stoppers.  I love them. I also purchased the Kochblume ones this week.  When you want to check the contents of the pot, all you have to do is slide the pot off of the stove eye for a few seconds and then lift the spill stopper to check inside and return the pot to the eye.  I have a smooth top stove so I don't find this any trouble at all.

These are invaluable for me as I can turn my back on my boiling pasta or boiling potatoes and not worry about it boiling over.