Honored Contributor

Kitchen Confession!

[ Edited ]

I am a very messy cook in the kitchen.  I dont know why I try to be careful but geeezzz, I spill, splatter,slop and anything else that can be a disaster in the kitchen I do it!  I have always been that way but it seem since I have reached my "golden" years its worse.   Any sisters out there?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

I'm right there with you, sister!!  And my cataracts don't help with the clean-up!!

Respected Contributor

I don't know why after all these years I'm so disorganized when I cook.  Always manage to dirty half of the utensils, bowls, pans, flatware that I own, just to cook one meal for two people.  My dishwasher gets quite a workout---once to clean up all the prep materials and later when the meal is over.

Also tend to be a bit clumsy---stir too hard or something, and wind up splattering where it don't belong!!

Honored Contributor

I am messy but I clean as I go so it doesn’t look that way.

Respected Contributor

My SIL.  We waive it all since the food she cooks is beyond ambrosia

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure whether or not I'd like to be a messy cook, but I just can't.

I have to clean as I go or I will become overwhelmed.  Then, I end up looking at the big mess and wanting to just go away.     If I keep myself in check, things go smoothly.  If I get overwhelmed, I just can't deal at all and every time I look at that mess it would look worse and worse.   (can you feel me going insane?)  Smiley Very Happy

More power to ya all, though!  Smiley Happy   You are stronger than I.

Honored Contributor

need to call Wolfgang's chef Marion she's a love.

Esteemed Contributor

I getcha, sister.  This is why I so rarely make baked goods. No matter how I try to be neat and tidy, I'll end up wearing most ingredients, flour on the floor, counter, and anything around.

Sometimes I'll notice some slop dried on the side of the refrigerator and think, now is that salad dressing? or ketchup? or ...??

The real mystery is how it got there!

I don't throw food around.

In fact, due to the messiness that 'just happens' in spite of my most careful neatness, 30 years ago I came to accept that this is my permanent kitchen karma.

That's Ok. It's balanced by my 'great parking spot' karma.

Esteemed Contributor

I clean as I cook, loading the dishwasher or washing the items that don't go into the dishwasher.  I have certain places for every item that goes in the dishwasher, so kitchen cleanup is my job anyway.  I hate to finish dinner and have lots of pots, pans, and dishes waiting for me.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt  I'm the same as you.  I also can get overwhelmed if I don't organize and clean as I go.  Prior to starting a recipe I get out the utensils, pans, and ingredients I need.  I put away ingredients as I use them.  Having a small kitchen helps in motivating this behavior, but I think more so it just a compulsion I have.