Super Contributor

Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer. I need help!

I rarely post but I do read the Kitchen board regularly. I need to get a Kitchen Aid stand mixer for my daughter for Christmas. She loves to bake and has been wanting one for ages. I know that there is usually a TSV for KA before Christmas.

I don't know Kitchen Aid from Band Aid and I need some help picking out her gift. She doesn't know that she's getting it and I want to make sure that I get something that's got all the attachments that she would need. I see some of them that are 300w, 325w, 525w, tilt top, lift top, with attachments, without attachments, etc. My head is spinning!

I like the suggestions that I have seen you folks make and you helped me out about a year ago when I bought an Instant Pot. Thanks in advance. You guys are great!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer. I need help!

Just my two cents here:

I have several KA stand mixers, and i think ultimately it will come down to how she uses it.  If she makes single batches of cookies or a loaf of bread at a time, then any of the mixers would work.  If she is going to make double batches, then a larger, more powerful model would be better.

Many peope prefer the tilting head mixers because they can be raised to easily add ingredients.  The bowl lift models make adding ingredients a bit more difficult, but you need the bowl-lift if you want a larger capacity (to make double batches of dough, for instance).

All mixers will ome with a dough hook, paddle, and whisk, so you are good there.  I, personally, do not like the models with glass bowls because they are heavier (particularly when loaded with dough) and expensive to replace if broken.

Frequent Contributor

I bought mine from Qvc a little under 2 yrs ago. It's the 325 W 5qt. I see they still have it but most colors are sold out. I'm sure they'll get more in though. It's K41486, take a look at the video and see what you think. I bought the Plumberry one and it's beautiful.

Respected Contributor

I love the look of the mini Kitchenaid mixer.  Go to you tube and you can see them side be side and a video of the new one.  I like the idea that it fits better under cupboards.  I bought my mixer years ago at BBB and had a 20% coupon.  I wish I had the neck that moves up and down, though. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are tons of attachments that are sold separately. Without you saying what kind of cooking and baking she does it's hard to recommend attachments. Will she use the meat grinder? Grain mill? Vegetable spiralizer? Is she planning on doing large batches of whole wheat bread? Or just run of the mill average baking like cakes, frosting and cookies? If she's just doing the usual stuff, I'd probably say go with the Artisan tilt head with 325 watts it's fine for average baking and it's compatible with the widest variety of bowls from the little 3 qt up to the 5 qt . 

All the actual attachments fit on all the mixers. So that isn't an issue. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I've made double batches of cookies my whole adult life (long time) using a small GE hand mixer I got as a wedding gift in 1964.  It's still going strong.  I've never had a stand mixer.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Woman Surprised

Trusted Contributor

I have two mixers. I use the smaller tilt-head (Baby Blue) for a batch of cookies or throwing together a cake. I use my large lift-bowl (Big Red) for kneading yeast breads and for when I make pasta and noodles.  Why, yes, my mixers have names! *smile* And they both have their places on the kitchen counter....I never put either one away.

So I agree with the others that knowing what she'll be using the mixer for will help you make a good decision. Good luck! Your daughter is a very, very lucky baker!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

K43826

K301216

I'd go with either of these. One, is on easy pay. Bigger motor I got the smaller one in pink.   Pretty good, just like my Cuisinart better. LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kachina624 wrote:

I've made double batches of cookies my whole adult life (long time) using a small GE hand mixer I got as a wedding gift in 1964.  It's still going strong.  I've never had a stand mixer.

Same here, except for the brand.   I've never had a need for a stand mixer.

If I were going to purchase a stand mixer and I wanted the KA brand, I'd have to go back in time and buy one from some 10+  years ago, before they were sold out and started making them more cheaply.

Otherwise, I'd go for Bosch or Viking - something that is built more integrously, like KA used to be.