Valued Contributor

For anyone interested, I just got notice that there is free shipping from King Arthur Flour for over $75.00.

Respected Contributor

FYI.............King Arthur usually offers free shipping and then if you open the email up it says if you spend $50.00. So misleading. Now, they are offering free s&h for $75. Not a fan of their marketing.

Frequent Contributor

Funny, I don't consider that to be free shipping...just my opinion!

Esteemed Contributor

I've noticed some changes at KA and their devoted followers are getting loud.

Their larger sacks of flour available online only are now in plastic packaging. Many are unhappy with more plastic in the environment. KA stated their paper packaging will remain for grocery stores.

There is also a disclaimer that their AP flour sold online is more of a wheat (bread) flour and is processed in a plant that also processes nuts. Again, grocery store products not affected. 

I wanted to purchase some sparkling sugar. Ingredients: sugar and carnauba wax. I'll pass.

Honored Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

FYI.............King Arthur usually offers free shipping and then if you open the email up it says if you spend $50.00. So misleading. Now, they are offering free s&h for $75. Not a fan of their marketing.

Vermont Country Store does this too.  I don't fall for it anymore, but it's always free if you spend 65.00 or more. Admittedly it is easy to spend that much there, but it's the principle .

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I get the King Arthur emails too. I needed parchment sheets, and they were on sale. So I bit the bullet and paid $8.95 for shipping.

They arrived in two days and were delivered on a Sunday.

Honored Contributor

Re: King Arthur

[ Edited ]

I had to order from them earlier this year when it was the only place to find their flour. 

Their prices are higher so I buy from Wal-Mart or Target when they have it. They both have the King Aruthur flours in stock right now.

I don't like plastic either but I do pour flour into ziploc bags to freeze. It's the easiest way to store them in the freezer so I can stack the bags.

I have been waiting for them to get the white wheat back in stock but still shows not available.

I placed an order with Target last night since they have it so I ordered $50 worth of groceries to get the $35 free shipping. I bought some other things I cannot get around here.

At least I will have plenty white wheat, ap & bread flour to last into next year.

Honored Contributor

I am very very burned on King Arthur now!  I don't like the  stupid looking logo, or the new bags and the new website is a disaster.  It is impossible to find anything.

We did a direct comparison yesterday as a matter of fact with some Bob's Red Mill bread flour--organic--and the Bob's came out a nicer higher more consistently browned loaf.  So Bob's it is from now on.

I have put them in the same kettle as a couple of other retailers I have long relied on.  Harney tea is another.  As soon as old Mr. Harney died they were off and running on a gillion flavors, social choice, environmental causes, role model people and a bunch of other carp that has nothing to do with the tea.  

Oh well, life changes.  But I have not renewed my KABaking (not Flour any more) for the first time in a very long time, and see little reason to order from them nowl