Honored Contributor
On 1/31/2015 debc said:
On 1/30/2015 sidsmom said:
On 1/30/2015 Sooner said:
On 1/25/2015 chessylady said: They are better than eating a candy bar but if you eat even one a day you could gain weight over the course of a year.

I just don't see that they are better than a candy bar. Eat a candy bar, get that sugar rush you're after, then don't do it again for a long time. If I am going to eat something like this, it would be a Snickers. Or on the other hand, some plain nuts if I am worried about health concerns, and skip the chocolate and sugar.

ITA. What irks me....the fact they are MARKETED as a healthier alternative.....they're NOT!! At least with a candy bar, you know straight up what'cha getin'. Much like the 'flavored water' thread...the public buys into this false security. Sad.

And it makes me crazy when I see manufacturers do this...when I know some people really ARE trying to make improvements....but advertisers are like a Wolf in Sheep's Clothing.

Well over all they do have better ingredients. Calories are about the same but saturated fats and sugars are not even a fourth of a candy bar.

Ok. But is it something you should eat often or include as a part of your regular diet? Is it really that much "better" than a candy bar? Maybe you can educate me, but I don't see it. If they are eaten often, I don't see the real point of them. Maybe I'm uninformed though (a common problem! LOL!!).

Esteemed Contributor

KIND bars have all the ingredients and nutrition information clearly labeled for any consumer to read, exactly the same as any food product. Anyone can compare a KIND bar to a candy bar and decide which they prefer based on calories, sugar grams, sodium, etc. I enjoy both KIND bars and different brands of candy bars, but I can make that decision myself. I don't perceive any misleading marketing at all, since the KIND bars do have many natural ingredients.

Respected Contributor
On 1/31/2015 Sooner said:
On 1/31/2015 debc said:
On 1/30/2015 sidsmom said:
On 1/30/2015 Sooner said:
On 1/25/2015 chessylady said: They are better than eating a candy bar but if you eat even one a day you could gain weight over the course of a year.

I just don't see that they are better than a candy bar. Eat a candy bar, get that sugar rush you're after, then don't do it again for a long time. If I am going to eat something like this, it would be a Snickers. Or on the other hand, some plain nuts if I am worried about health concerns, and skip the chocolate and sugar.

ITA. What irks me....the fact they are MARKETED as a healthier alternative.....they're NOT!! At least with a candy bar, you know straight up what'cha getin'. Much like the 'flavored water' thread...the public buys into this false security. Sad.

And it makes me crazy when I see manufacturers do this...when I know some people really ARE trying to make improvements....but advertisers are like a Wolf in Sheep's Clothing.

Well over all they do have better ingredients. Calories are about the same but saturated fats and sugars are not even a fourth of a candy bar.

Ok. But is it something you should eat often or include as a part of your regular diet? Is it really that much "better" than a candy bar? Maybe you can educate me, but I don't see it. If they are eaten often, I don't see the real point of them. Maybe I'm uninformed though (a common problem! LOL!!).

Nuts and grains are considered healthy, so I would say yes they are better than flavored sugar. I personally like both. We generally eat them in place of breakfast or for an afternoon snack. It just depends, my husband is usually out in the field all day and has these and cliff bars in a lunch box, quick snack when he doesn't have time for lunch. I think they are considered energy bars, not low calerie. A sugar high drops very quickly, these are more substantial.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

"Almond" Joy, "Peanut" M&M's....LOTS of candy bars have the so-called 'healthy' nuts. Just because the package is prettier & the name is earthier or athletic...doesn't make them better for you.

Respected Contributor
On 1/31/2015 sidsmom said:

"Almond" Joy, "Peanut" M&M's....LOTS of candy bars have the so-called 'healthy' nuts. Just because the package is prettier & the name is earthier or athletic...doesn't make them better for you.

LOL, yeah those 2 nuts really make a difference.

Almond joy

9 grams satuarted fat

24 grams sugar

70 mg sodium

Madagascar vanilla kind bar (the one I have on hand)

2 grams saturated fat

4 grams sugar

15 grams sodium

~~
Super Contributor
On 1/31/2015 debc said:
On 1/31/2015 sidsmom said:

LOL, yeah those 2 nuts really make a difference.

Almond joy

9 grams satuarted fat

24 grams sugar

70 mg sodium

Madagascar vanilla kind bar (the one I have on hand)

2 grams saturated fat

4 grams sugar

15 grams sodium

Thanks Debc I needed that today :-)

Honored Contributor

Still, if you are eating a lot of these kind of bars it does add up. They shouldn't be considered "healthy" snacks to eat a lot. I don't know anybody who has candy bars on a daily basis or eats several a day. These sort of "health" foods I know people do feel a lot more free to eat.

The "health" bars sure get sold a lot by the box judging from these responses. . .

Honored Contributor

The ones I looked at had about 1/3 the calories of a Snickers bar, about the same protein content (about 4 grams for the Kind and 5.1 for the Snickers), and about the same amount of fat (about 10 grams) content as a 2 oz. Snickers. So basically you are having a more calorie (sugar) filled bar if you have a snickers bar.

Fiber 3 gm for the Kind and 1.4 for the Snickers. IF I looked correctly. I'm not sure how big a 2 oz snickers is. I may have to go have one to compare things! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor
On 1/31/2015 Sooner said:

Still, if you are eating a lot of these kind of bars it does add up. They shouldn't be considered "healthy" snacks to eat a lot. I don't know anybody who has candy bars on a daily basis or eats several a day. These sort of "health" foods I know people do feel a lot more free to eat.

The "health" bars sure get sold a lot by the box judging from these responses. . .

Oh I'm sure it would. I eat one or none a day. The same goes with people who indulge in 'diet' foods.

They say the amount of dressing most people put on salads negates the health benefits too. Moderation is supposed to be the key.

~~
Respected Contributor

I would certainly consider a KIND bar a healthier alternative to a candy bar, but I don't eat candy bars. I would eat KIND but they seem a little high in fat and low in protein for me. I generally look for some type of protein bar. That used to be LUNA and then I tried QUEST (often used by people who do weight training - low in sugar, very high in protein) but Quest is definitely not for everyone and I find does have a bit of an aftertaste (perhaps due to it having some Stevia in it). Better consumed when warmed in the microwave for a few seconds.

Quest Double Chocolate Chunk:

2.5 g saturated fat (total 6g)

1 g sugar (erythritol 6g)

20 g protein

250 mg sodium

16 g dietary fiber