Respected Contributor

Some information about different types of Feta Cheeses & how to remove excess saltiness.

Since many of my QVC pals love my Greek recipes I have posted since inception to the QVC bb's, many of the recipes contain Greek Feta cheese, so I thought to post about the various type Feta Cheese available for purchase.

I also posted about how to remove the saltiness if the Feta cheese which is usually placed in a barrel filled with brine, is really too salty to use as is.

I hope this enables those who wish for a less salty diet to still enjoy Feta Cheese, and also find the information I posted both educational, and interesting in general.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Different Types of Feta Cheeses:

Greek Feta:

Made from at least 70% sheeps' milk, often with a little goats' milk blended in. Salty and tangy, usually rich and creamy, although versions with more goats' milk tend to be drier.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

French Feta:

Usually made with excess sheeps' milk that is not used for making Roquefort. French Feta is typically mild and creamy. Some goats' milk Feta is also made in France and can be slightly drier and tangier.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bulgarian Feta:

Made from sheeps' milk. Creamier texture, usually less salty. Sometimes it has a little bit of a grassy or "sheepy" flavor mixed in with a yeasty, tangy finish.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Israeli Feta:

Full-flavored, creamy, and usually not overly salty Feta made from sheeps' milk .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

American Feta:

Can be made with sheep, goat or even cows' milk. Usually the predominant flavor is tangy and the texture is less creamy and more crumbly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Removing Saltiness From Feta Cheese:

(Always taste the Feta Cheese first)

Put the block, slices, or cubes of feta cheese into a large strainer, or a sieve.

Rinse the Feta Cheese under a cold tap for about one minute, then tip the rinsed feta into a bowl. or a large lock and lock, or large class container.

Pour milk into the vessel of your choice on top of the Feta Cheese, so that the milk covers all of the Feta.

Place the vessel of Feta Cheese into the refrigerator, and allow the Feta to soak overnight. (DO NOT LEAVE IT UNREFRIGERATED OR IT WILL SPOIL).

Drain the milk from the Feta Cheese using the strainer or sieve.

The salty taste from the feta will now be removed, or vastly reduced.