Honored Contributor

Re: KEURIG'S just-released earnings report shows serious declines

As said very well upthread... it's just a cup of coffee.  I love coffee and when I got married I was given a coffee machine that brewed and had a glass carafe.  Compared to the perculator I inherited, that was heaven to me.  Except that DH and I usually wasted a half a carafe of coffee a day.  The coffee mixture was perfect when I made it for a whole pot, not so great when I tried to adjust it to a smaller volume.  So when the first Keurig came out I was right there and we were thrilled~!  I usually used the ready made K-cups but also used my own special blend, loved the option.  And although expensive (I thought) there was no waste by throwing half the carafe out, no filter papers, no mess.... heaven~!  Love the basic machine that I bought the small version for our motorhome.

I have absolutely no interest in the 2.0.  I don't want another Carafe, won't use it.   I don't want it complicated, even though the model I have now has the hot water feature as well as (I think) five sizes. We use it every day.  I still mostly use Keurig's K-Cups if I can find a Light Blend (Sam's Club).

To think that this company says it is underwater in any way makes me laugh because of the natural attrition attributed to having a product that needs to be cleaned with vinegar in order to keep all the little ports open, needs a filter and preferably uses bottled water.  Of course the pump life is never a long time, so it makes sense that people are buying new machines every few years to replace broken ones.   Unless you're very lucky, they won't last five years and I bet they are working right now to cut that to 2 1/2 years.(/sarcasm)....  so for them to say they have serious declines in sales seems improbable to me....

But despite it all, I still love the (basic) machine, probably more than I should.   Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Maybe sales are down........'cause everybody already has one........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

K cups are expensive. The economy is in poor shape and this is a recipe for disaster.  They caused their own problem with the 2.0 machines. Customers will let them know with their pocketbooks.

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Maybe sales are down........'cause everybody already has one........

Very true, Di.

My K40 is almost 7 years old and running strong.  The only reason I got the K65 was because I wanted a brewer for work.

But people typically don't upgrade coffee makers like they do belts.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't closely follow Keurig stock (actually it's the stock of Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, stock symbol GMCR), but I do have a stock trading portfolio and listen to CNBC every day, and hear a lot of opinions and news about all stocks. 

The stock price is down severely this morning, because theshort-sellers are piling on.

The company's critics and naysayers on Wall Street have been after that company for a couple of years, questioning  its business model and its continual effort to keep steps ahead of growing competition with dubious strategies.  At the moment , it has some sort of partnership going on with Coca Cola to introduce a line of cold drinks.

The stock price has been declining for many months now.  I sold my big Keurig machine a long time ago and use the mini-brewer, in addition to my Cuisinart drip-coffee model.  I drink a fair amount of coffee, so both machines are important to me.

All I could think of when Keurig introduced the newest fancy big machine that required its own unique coffee pods was.that the company was racing hard against copycats and competitors.

Supposedly in the next few minutes, CNBC will broadcast an interview with the CEO of Green Mountain, in which I suppose we'll hear about plans to save the company from further declines.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I don't closely follow Keurig stock (actually it's the stock of Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, stock symbol GMCR), but I do have a stock trading portfolio and listen to CNBC every day, and hear a lot of opinions and news about all stocks. 

The stock price is down severely this morning, because theshort-sellers are piling on.

The company's critics and naysayers on Wall Street have been after that company for a couple of years, questioning  its business model and its continual effort to keep steps ahead of growing competition with dubious strategies.  At the moment , it has some sort of partnership going on with Coca Cola to introduce a line of cold drinks.

The stock price has been declining for many months now.  I sold my big Keurig machine a long time ago and use the mini-brewer, in addition to my Cuisinart drip-coffee model.  I drink a fair amount of coffee, so both machines are important to me.

All I could think of when Keurig introduced the newest fancy big machine that required its own unique coffee pods was.that the company was racing hard against copycats and competitors.

Supposedly in the next few minutes, CNBC will broadcast an interview with the CEO of Green Mountain, in which I suppose we'll hear about plans to save the company from further declines.

Has that been on yet.

Please LMK 

may be it will be on the website later

Respected Contributor

If the Keurig CEO came on, I didn't see him---was gone most of the day.  However, the following details indicate we just MIGHT see lower prices on K-cups as the company fights to keep market share and improve sales.

Are Keurig's Latest Estimates Low Enough? -- Market Talk

2:31 pm ET August 6, 2015 (Dow Jones) Print

14:31 EDT - After quarters now of lowered expectations, Keurig (GMCR) "still targets mid-teens EPS growth longer-term, but admits this requires decreased competition and increased margin flexibility," notes Sterne Agee after the countertop coffee maker's dour F3Q report yesterday. "However, competitive activity is likely to remain high given excess capacity." As such, "the reset may not be enough despite several downgrades and lowered investor expectations." That as while the firm's cold-beverage offering "remains exciting long-term...additional investment [is] required and pod price points must still come down meaningfully." GMCR's 27% stock tumble, stripping $3B of market value from the company as it notches its biggest percentage decline since 2012, puts shares at a 2 1/2-year low.

(kevin.kingsbury@wsj.com; @kevinkingsbury)

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

Respected Contributor