Respected Contributor

Is anyone on KETO and have you seen results?

What are you eating on a daily basis?

Valued Contributor

My niece has been on it and lost 50 lbs and has kept it off for a year.  My daughter is on it now and  has lost 19 lbs since End of Novermber. Im trying to read about it but am having trouble comprendening it.

Beckyblu

Honored Contributor

I lost 20 lbs doing a moderate low carb diet (100 total carbs/day).  Keto was just too extreme for me.  Also, today I was seeing on GMA that apparently a study came out today showing a link between Keto & Afib.  I haven't checked it out, so can't say how valid it is.  

Trusted Contributor
My mom did it, liost a lot of weight and is completely off all medications including insulin. Her doctor is a big proponent of eating Whole Foods, healthy fats and low carb. No sugar is a big one! That needs to be cut out entirely. She only eats berries and no other fruit.

She is now on maintenance. Counts nothing and just eats till she’s full. Generally eats - Eggs and half avocado in the morning. Salad for lunch and some protein with veggies in evening. No need to snack as she’s never hungry. Oh, and nothing low or no fat. Those things are filled with chemicals and carbs so only whole fat cheese and dairy products. Nuts are good too.

The traditional diet is really being thrreatened by this new way if eating so you will see the rebellion and many articles saying this is unhealthy or dangerous for one reason or another but if you do your research, you will find the complete opposite!

I lost 25 pounds eating low carb almost 6 years ago and have kept it off (though it wasn’t specifically called keto then...). I too eat lots of green vegetables, chicken, fish, sometimes beef. Dairy and nuts but no potatoes, rice, grains or beans. No refined starches. Once in a while I may have pasta or bread but then I’m right back to eating clean. There are so many great recipes and alternatives out there that I never feel deprived.
New Contributor

I have never been on keto but I heard from my friends that it takes months for keto to start working. Your body has to adapt to low carb food. They also said for the first month it is worse than any other diet but ... it is worth trying. 

Valued Contributor

@DianneR wrote:

I have never been on keto but I heard from my friends that it takes months for keto to start working. Your body has to adapt to low carb food. They also said for the first month it is worse than any other diet but ... it is worth trying. 

Everyone is different.  I had no issues whatsoever but I did follow the suggestion to keep my electrolytes replenished.  I had no keto "flu" or keto "rash".  It did not take me months to reach a state of ketosis.  When I stopped eating the carbs, I lost the weight and I also lost the cravings.  I slowly incorporated intermittent fasting into my diet and am doing great at maintaining.

I would recommend keto or low carb to anyone like me that is carborhydrate addicted.  The more carbs I eat, the more I want and crave them.