Respected Contributor

K50776 - Produce Saver Sheets

Have any of you ladies used these produce saver sheets?  If so, how did the work out for you and would you recommend them.

Respected Contributor

Re: K50776 - Produce Saver Sheets

I bought these a few years ago, really I barely remember other than I was not impressed at the time but I don't think I gave them a fair test.  I think I used them to set bananas on and they might have helped some.  I wish I were more help but hated to see your question go without any answer at all.  They might work best for fruit like peaches or other soft fruit. 

Fruit can be so expensive that any day(s) their life is extended might be worth giving these a try.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought some similar ones a few years agao and I really didn't see much difference..

Respected Contributor

When I store fruit like blueberries or strawberries, I put them in a tightly lidded container with  a paper towel or paper napkin.  Change it out each day, as it gets wet.  Works pretty well extending the freshness.

Valued Contributor

I bought some years ago for produce and a different one for bread.  They seemed to help with the produce.  However, the ones for bread made it have a spicey smell and taste. My husband griped every time he opened the loaf of bread so I didn't use it anymore.

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

When I store fruit like blueberries or strawberries, I put them in a tightly lidded container with  a paper towel or paper napkin.  Change it out each day, as it gets wet.  Works pretty well extending the freshness.

I do the paper towel thing with some produce items and it really is helpful.  Each day, as I take some out, I switch it out.  I usually have a few pieces of paper towels I use for this.  I will lay out the one piece on a counter to dry out and can switch back to that one the next day since they stay clean and only smell like carrots or canteloupe (whatever it is I'm using that one for).   

I just finished a canteloupe after more than three weeks and it was still perfect.   For canteloupe, I just cut in half, scoop out the seeds and guts which I freeze in L&L for the bird  for when it's not canteloupe season anymore, then cut it into 8 wedges. remove the outside rind, then put them into a L&L with a rack on the bottom.  I put a piece of paper towel on top that gets changed each day.  I love canteloupe and this year they have been very nice!  Smiley Happy

I also use the E.G.G. things that I got years ago.   I will put these in with whole fruits or veg that are in a produce bag, kind of close up the bag and put them in the drawer on the bottom of the refrigerator.   You have a plastic egg-shaped thing that comes apart in the middle.  It has holes all in it.  You have these little packets of something that goes inside each one.   Maybe that's the same material that is in these sheets mentioned in the OP - I don't know.  Change it out every 3 months.  They really work well and it costs me about $10 a year.  

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

I do the paper towel thing with some produce items and it really is helpful.  Each day, as I take some out, I switch it out.  I usually have a few pieces of paper towels I use for this.  I will lay out the one piece on a counter to dry out and can switch back to that one the next day since they stay clean and only smell like carrots or canteloupe (whatever it is I'm using that one for).   

I just finished a canteloupe after more than three weeks and it was still perfect.   For canteloupe, I just cut in half, scoop out the seeds and guts which I freeze in L&L for the bird  for when it's not canteloupe season anymore, then cut it into 8 wedges. remove the outside rind, then put them into a L&L with a rack on the bottom.  I put a piece of paper towel on top that gets changed each day.  I love canteloupe and this year they have been very nice!  Smiley Happy

I also use the E.G.G. things that I got years ago.   I will put these in with whole fruits or veg that are in a produce bag, kind of close up the bag and put them in the drawer on the bottom of the refrigerator.   You have a plastic egg-shaped thing that comes apart in the middle.  It has holes all in it.  You have these little packets of something that goes inside each one.   Maybe that's the same material that is in these sheets mentioned in the OP - I don't know.  Change it out every 3 months.  They really work well and it costs me about $10 a year.  

@chickenbutt   I'm going to try this with the cantelope that I just bought.  I threw out one last week that had gone bad after week.  

Thankt for the tip! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Glad to help!  You know what a nut I am about food storage!  Smiley Very Happy   I have a lot of time on my hands so I'm prone to thinking everything out and what is the best way to do it.

Heart