Respected Contributor

Just starting on the learning curve...AirFryer help please

Got the Emeril 5-quart Air Fryer and just started to use it for my lunch as a learning step.

Today I tried doing grilled cheese.  Not exactly a winning experience.  Slightly spritzed the outside of the sandwich bread; added 2 slices of American cheese; @370 for 4 minutes; turned it over but had to straighten out the top bread slice; continued heating for 4 minutes.

The cheese wasn’t the right creamy texture and the bread tasted dried out.

one more episode like this and I may have to pack it up in its box.

If yours comes out great, how did you do it ?

TIA

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Re: Just starting on the learning curve...AirFryer help please

4 minutes and the whole thing should of been done not 4 per side, I just looked it up on line

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I’ve learned that some foods are just not intended to be cooked in an air fryer; for me, that would include a grilled cheese.   

I prefer to use mine for fries, onion rings, tater tots, pizza rolls, reheat pizza, biscuits, cinnamon rolls, chicken strips, fish sticks, but in this house a grilled cheese needs butter and a hot skillet!

Honored Contributor

You have to be willing to do some learning no matter what small appliance you buy. Watch videos on QVC and HSN, Bed and bath have books that will show pictures and give recipes. If I don't buy the book for just the few recipes I like I bring pen and pad and copy them out of the book. LOL

If your library has any books on the subject, check 'em out for free.

I bought Meridith, the blue jean chef book from Amazon and another book from another gal. Rest of it I learned off the cuff by myself.

Haven't mastered potato chips and fried green tomatoes yet. Still working on that. Chicken wings I love and baste with olive oil to cook 20 minutes then baste with bbq sauce for couple minutes is my favorite. Salmon basted with olive oil always turns out great. Homemade (or frozen Ore Ida) fries turns out well . 'Fried' hand pies I do in there instead of butter in skillet. canned biscuits, poke a hole thru the dough and 'fry' for a few minutes and then dredge in sugar and cinnamon.

I'm learning how to use my Instant Pot now. Recipes and how to's come with it and I got a book at Target. Have learned from folks in here and I understand there is groups dedicated to the Instant Pot usage, plus, you tube has scads of videos on everything.

Respected Contributor

I tried the grill cheese and it did not work for me either...the cheese would be all over the fryer and the bread would burn.  After several attempts, I have finally mastered baking whole sweet potatoes, steaks, and chicken.  I would just keep trying until you find the foods that work for you. I do love the airfryer (Cook's Companion) for heating when I don't want to use the oven. 

Occasional Contributor

I own that air fryer too and use the recipe cards that came with it. Done pork chops, chicken breasts, wings and hubby likes chicken legs. Also heat up fries, onion rings and heat up pizza.

Honored Contributor

I make open-face grilled cheese and it turns out fine.  (Have to limit my intake of bread.)  I guess  it takes around 4 minutes.  For chops, fish, etc.  I use the pre-set, but since I eat a small portion I sometimes take off a  couple of minutes.  For meat if it was slightly frozen I may add a couple of minutes or if it was a kind of meat  I don't want rare at all, I add a couple of minutes.  (I have the Power XL 3+ qt. from QVC)

Respected Contributor

jikz when we got our air fryer we ordered from amazon the blue jean chefs air fryer cookbook.or any air fryer cookbook will totally help you get use to your air fryer. it shows you alot of tips and recipes. good luck. 

Respected Contributor

I make grilled cheese in my air fryer all the time. I butter the bread just like I would for a regular grilled cheese. Otherwise, you’re basically making toast. I also use toothpicks to keep the top piece of bread in place.
Esteemed Contributor

I just got an air fryer about three weeks ago. I've ordered a cookbook but mine did come with a few recipes. 

Here's how I did my grilled cheese: I spread butter on the bread instead of spraying it. I sliced cheddar cheese  or veleveeta, (both work) You need to cook it longer than they say. My instructions were 360 for 4 mins on each side. I had to add about 2 minutes. (It depends on how thichk the bread and cheese slices are..

I also tried it with adding slices of ham on the sandwich. That was very good. Again...Ii think it was about 6 or 7 min per side on the 360 temp. I was using Italian bread and Artisan break. (thick than sandwich break but not as thick as home made or bakery)

Hope this helps you.