Respected Contributor

Re: Just made my stuffed meatloaf recipe with garlic mashed and stringbeans for an early dinner

On 3/2/2015 BeckiWV said:

Sounds delicious.

Thanks BeckiWV, it is and I hope you will also try itSmile.

Respected Contributor

Re: Just made my stuffed meatloaf recipe with garlic mashed and stringbeans for an early dinner

On 3/1/2015 Tissyanne said: Your meal sounds delicious, and I hope you and your family enjoyed it. I enjoy preparing meals for my family also. Enjoy your day, and happy eating.

Thanks so much Tissyanne for your kind reply.

We and our guests did enjoy it.

I hope you enjoy your day too, and happy cooking and eating.

Frequent Contributor

Dear. Adore, new to posting, not to reading the forum. Will be making your meatloaf recipe today. Thank you for your recipes,so very full and interesting.I wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your posts here and on the grief thread. I hope you continue to do so as long as possible. God bless and provide for you.. Keeper
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the spinach pointers, Adore. I love to use frozen spinach and that's what I was thinking for this recipe. Have some feta I need to use up and going to the grocery store tomorrow, so will get what else I need to make it this week.

Respected Contributor

This question is not meant to be confrontational.....I am simply curious. You state that you never take shortcuts in the kitchen as evidenced by this recipe in which you have homemade breadcrumbs, homemade sausage and homemade smoked paprika. Yet you also add sodium laden Lipton onion soup mix and , the most vile product ever (IMO), CANNED mushrooms. As you are aware, nothing is easier to prepare than fresh mushrooms---you can even buy them pre sliced. You certainly owe me no explanation but as I said , I AM curious.
Respected Contributor

On 3/2/2015 Danky said: This question is not meant to be confrontational.....I am simply curious. You state that you never take shortcuts in the kitchen as evidenced by this recipe in which you have homemade breadcrumbs, homemade sausage and homemade smoked paprika. Yet you also add sodium laden Lipton onion soup mix and , the most vile product ever (IMO), CANNED mushrooms. As you are aware, nothing is easier to prepare than fresh mushrooms---you can even buy them pre sliced. You certainly owe me no explanation but as I said , I AM curious.

Hi Danky,

I read your post and do not view it as confrontational at all, appreciate your curiosity, and hope my explanation addresses it in full measure.

If I have fresh on hand I will use it, if not I have canned items and items I have canned myself in my pantry, and will use them. Sometime we do prefer canned to fresh. It depends on the time of day or night and what we have on hand in the pantry or refrigerator.

The Lipton onion soup mix I strain through a strainer so most of the powder is not included in my recipes, since that is what contains the most sodium. Half of the rest of the strained mix is what I use, and we use it because many times we want that specific Lipton Onion Soup Recipe Mix flavoring.

We always keep dried soups, dried noodles, and a variety of various canned goods in our pantry.

When I am out of fresh I have no problem using whatever I have on hand in the house, them, especially since many times we cook and bake at odd hours when the stores are closed and it is well past midnight.

"Rather used canned goods than chance going out after dark and in the early morning hours, just to look for a specific fresh ingredient".

Using common sense also helps in any situation including cooking and baking, and I have no problems using pantry items and other canned foods in a pinch when I cannot get immediate safe access to fresh items.

Have a great day, and I hope your curiosity is now completely laid to rest.

Respected Contributor

On 3/2/2015 keeper of the koi said: Dear. Adore, new to posting, not to reading the forum. Will be making your meatloaf recipe today. Thank you for your recipes,so very full and interesting.I wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your posts here and on the grief thread. I hope you continue to do so as long as possible. God bless and provide for you.. Keeper

Hello and welcome in keeper of the koi,

I am so happy to read your reply.

Many thanks for all your kind words.

I am also happy to know you will be making my stuffed meatloaf recipe today, and I hope you post back to let me know if it was a keeper or not{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

I am very humbled that you enjoy my recipes and posts here and on the grief thread, and I always try and share whatever knowledge God has graced me with.

My favorite past time is cooking and baking and being creative in the kitchen, as well as feeding my family, friends, neighbors and other guests. Both my husbands were experienced in those departments as Greek, and Greek American men are usually taught at a young age how to be self sufficient in all aspects of survival and living.

All of this gives me extreme pleasure, and helping on the delayed grief thread I know brought me a lot of kind comfort too, as I have lost my entire immediate family, as well as my beloved husband of 45 years, and exactly 2 weeks later my Mom also died. (Those 2 dual deaths hit me the hardest).

That grief thread is still needed as I added my personal knowledge to it, and also many other QVC members joined in and shared their personal knowledge and grief journey experiences. God indeed works in mysterious ways and there are miracles all around as many are blessed to have seen them.

The Delayed grief thread is a thread QVC promised to me via email reply they would bring back and again allow cyber interaction postings since the commentary period they had closed due to inactivity.

They re-read the entire thread and email replied that they too agreed and felt that Delayed Grief thread was very much needed and should be reopened to accept new cyber postings again, but they did caution if all activity halts and does not resume within 1 year from my email request to re-open comments again, then they will have no choice but to again close the interactive commentary period.

I still feel it is important since we all grieve at one time or another in our lives and would like to view it from time to time and see if it does remain active, and if someone needs support I do give it as I hope others also go back and view it as well and also offer their support.

Bless you and yours too, and I pray the Lord also provides.

I hope you will always interact with me, and I look forward to reading and replying to all your kind comments.

Respected Contributor

On 3/2/2015 soonersis said:

Thanks for the spinach pointers, Adore. I love to use frozen spinach and that's what I was thinking for this recipe. Have some feta I need to use up and going to the grocery store tomorrow, so will get what else I need to make it this week.

Soonersis,

You are very welcome my friend!

Please let me know if you feel this recipe is a keeper or not, and please do be honest. Unfortunately not all recipes are keepers and I feel that is a matter of personal taste.

I hope it tastes great though.....but you tell me please, and I will not be offended if you are not pleased with it.

All I can do is post it and hope it works out for everyone, as well as it does for us.

Honored Contributor

I just bought Feta! Yeah me! Now I can add this to the menu list!

Thank you Adore, for the delightful sounding flavors in this recipe.

Thank you also for reminding me about that IGNORE button! Sure comes in handy. Bless your heart for looking beyond that and continuing to share your expertise! We are all so appreciative...I hope you know that!!

I still haven't tried my Baklava yet...I have that recipe on the counter waiting to get the guts to try it! LOL I watched Chopped the other night and they had Phyllo dough as an ingredient. They were all making such a mess! LOL That might be me!

You were so kind to mention on that thread if I ever was looking for another recipe? Well...I'M BACK!!!

I have about 4 recipes for Avgolemono (is that how you spell it?) Soup. None of them are quite the way I remember having it in NH at my dear BIL's Aunties house. She made the best. The ones I have tried seem too thin...or not enough lemon flavor.

Do you have a recipe that is your 'go to' for Avgolemono Soup? TIA!

Respected Contributor

On 3/2/2015 RespectLife said:

I just bought Feta! Yeah me! Now I can add this to the menu list!

Thank you Adore, for the delightful sounding flavors in this recipe.

Thank you also for reminding me about that IGNORE button! Sure comes in handy. Bless your heart for looking beyond that and continuing to share your expertise! We are all so appreciative...I hope you know that!!

I still haven't tried my Baklava yet...I have that recipe on the counter waiting to get the guts to try it! LOL I watched Chopped the other night and they had Phyllo dough as an ingredient. They were all making such a mess! LOL That might be me!

You were so kind to mention on that thread if I ever was looking for another recipe? Well...I'M BACK!!!

I have about 4 recipes for Avgolemono (is that how you spell it?) Soup. None of them are quite the way I remember having it in NH at my dear BIL's Aunties house. She made the best. The ones I have tried seem too thin...or not enough lemon flavor.

Do you have a recipe that is your 'go to' for Avgolemono Soup? TIA!

YEAH FROM ME TOO respectlife.....Glad you bought the Feta!

Now I hope when you make my stuffed meatloaf recipe you will also update and post if it is a keeper or not, and respectlife please do be totally honest.

I agree that no one likes to feel compelled to use the ignore button, but it is there for that exact reason.

I will always continue to post as I always have while I am still state side, so no worries there my friend. It gives me extreme pleasure to post and great satisfaction to read that my continued contributions are appreciated by so many of our dear QVC pals.

Now about the Greek Baklava.....Do not allow the phyllo to intimidate you. Using phyllo is very forgiving..... and no they do not hold a grudge if a bit torn{#emotions_dlg.tt1}

Below is a tried and true Avgolemono Soup Recipe which is simple, easy, and literally fool proof, and I will also list some hints for you at the bottom of this post as far as a soup thickener, thinning out a soup if too thick, and lemon info.

Egg Lemon Greek Soup Enough for double the recipe below:

Boil chicken parts, a few Cornish hens, or a large boiling chicken in a large soup pot and to that add some sliced carrots, sliced celery, some salt, and one large diced onion.

Add about 10-12 cups of water and gently simmer the above until the chicken falls off the bone.

Now strain and save half of that broth for another meal.

Place in a lock and lock and freeze.

Now the remainder of the broth can be used in the recipe below and shred some of the chicken into the soup if you so desire.

Avgolemono Soup (Greek Egg Lemon Soup Queen of Greek Soups)

1/2 cup short grain white rice
5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 eggs, separated
Juice of 1-1/2 lemons
Zest of 1/2 lemon
Salt and pepper to personal taste
A few sprinkles of dried mint (Optional)

Instructions:
Bring the chicken broth to a boil and add the 1/2 cup short grain white rice. Stir for about 2 minutes, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender.

Prep Work:
In a bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy and beginning to stiffen. Add the yolks and beat until light and creamy. Slowly add in the lemon juice and about 1/2 cup of the simmering broth. Remove the soup from the heat and gradually add the egg mixture, stirring constantly for about 1 minute. Stir in the lemon zest and season to taste with salt and white pepper. Serve immediately.

Hints & Tips:
As soon as you add the beaten eggs and lemon into the soup taste it, to see if you need more lemons for a more lemony taste since this is a personal preference.

If the soup becomes too thick you can just slowly add a little water and keep stirring to thin it out and stir with a wire whisk so no lumps form.

If it is too thin add 1/4 cup of water in a measuring cup and to that add 1 teaspoon of corn starch and stir well.

Now slowly with the wire whisk stir in the mixture into the soup on very low simmer so it will thicken the soup but the soup will not curdle.

Keep stirring until you like the consistency, and if you need more corn starch to thicken it even more add some more.

Well my friend if you need more help page me and respectlife relax and enjoy your time in the kitchen.

Remember everything is a learning experience and even disasters can many times be salvaged. Laugh at your mistakes and just remember to correct them.

Laugh my friend, because cooking should be fun, and not a chore.

It is called a labor of love. Get it? Love to cook, and love to eat, and love to create and enjoy with others.....

Also eating what you created should also make you say “Oh it’s so good!”.

If you need more help page me my friend, and I hope it all tastes delicious when you have made all you wish to create.