Respected Contributor

Yes, we are having some of the same meals over and over as that's only what's available in the meat section of our local supermarket. 

Frequent Contributor

At my Publix, lots of eggs but no chickens!!!! (Which came first?). 

Honored Contributor

I've seen a few recipes for things that look good and sound good but I'm not going to make them in case they really aren't as good as they sound or look.  I've wasted good ingredients on something that was meh!

Respected Contributor

I'd like to make a potato salad but hate to use the number of eggs it would take even though there is no shortage in our area.  It's psychological, a fear of possible future regret.

At the same time, I'm as prepared for this as most anyone can reasonably be and need to use the eggs within their dates of "use by".  I'll take another look at those dates and reconsider that salad.

Watching the news of the many cars lined up in Pittsburgh for food bank help, my thought is a hope that more people will return to home cooking instead of relying too much on fast food or restaurant meals leaving their home supply insufficient to carry them over during an emergency or even knowing how to cook if they've never bothered to learn.

Good idea for future businesses would be reasonably priced cooking and baking classes for beginner and intermediate levels across the nation??  Not to mention a return to Home Ec in schools.  Including how to use leftovers cook from what's on sale, how to use what we have wisely.  A lot of people do not have a clue.

Contributor

Re: Just in case.....

[ Edited ]

@Zhills wrote:

Do you find yourself hesitating to cook the food you have....just in case!  Still unable to get chicken and eggs at my Publix

I know what you mean.

In my head I have 14 days of meals planned in case we need to be quarantined. (Actual quarantine - not just stay at home). These are meals that don't really require anything fresh (mostly frozen made-ahead casseroles) So, I told my husband we will not be eating any of those items.

For now, I am making a list of dinners for the week as usual and attempting to locate what I need for those meals. The problem is that on any given day what is in stock changes. Last week I could get tortillas (but didn't since I didn't need them for any meals). So, I put something on my menu this week that uses tortillas and there are none to be found.

So, I am trying to go to the store with "back-up dinner" ingredients on a separate list.

Respected Contributor

@cindyNC  I betcha if you went over to Recipes( see left)  and put out the call for recipies of what ever you've been fixing the same way they'd be more than helpful with suggestions.

Honored Contributor

Still cooking daily, and haven’t made a dent in my supply yet.

Esteemed Contributor

You must have a larger pantry than I do.  I have plenty for at least 2 weeks.  With rice and pasta dishes, probably a month's worth.  Hope I will be able to replenish it as I use it.  Like the peace of mind knowing that fact!  I CAN eat without fresh produce if necessary!

Esteemed Contributor

Things are bad and getting worse in NJ. I was going to go to the supermarket before closing tonight (least crowded time) and decided the risk was not worth the reward. 

I hope I don't need anything until after Easter. There are foods /ingredients I would like to have, but just not worth taking the chance, especially since the market is located in the area of the county with the most reported cases of Covid-19.

Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy And then again it might get better.