Valued Contributor

Born and raised in Chicago, my Dad born in Italy, my Mom and her Mom born in the US but 100% Italian.  In my house it was Sunday gravy and macaroni.

Esteemed Contributor

@Rosebud816  I am a South Philly Italian and I call it gravy.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

From upstate NY...we are Italian...grew up in Italian neighborhood..never called it gravy..Gravy is from meat juice...DW

Honored Contributor

Re: Italian sauce

[ Edited ]

So, Italians call spaghetti sauce, gravy?

Never heard that and I live in a town with a good number of Italians and Italian restaurants.  

Here, gravy is made from meat, chicken, turkey, pork, or beef.  

Esteemed Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@January121  I appreciate Jane's attachment to both sides of her heritage. I just never considered sauce vs. gravy to be fightin' words. Smiley Frustrated

@PA Mom-mom  😂🤣😂🤣 you’re right !!!!!

Trusted Contributor

They called it gravy where I grew up in N.Y.

Respected Contributor

All the Italians I knew in Brooklyn, NY called it sauce. When you put it on white bread, it was called "sauce bread". Of course, what else would you call that concoction? :-) BTW, delicious.

Trusted Contributor

Not that I would...lol...but...if you buy jarred at the store it's called tomato sauce...not tomato gravy....just sayin...lololol....DW

Trusted Contributor

After reading all the replies, I have come to 2 conclusions.

1. it is definitely a regional, potentially city environment, Italian American thing to use the term gravy

2. @Carmie explained it perfectly in her post about the origins of the term here in the US. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Italian sauce

[ Edited ]

Growing up, my Italian grandmother and mother called it gravy. Always eaten on a Sunday. All shapes of pasta were called macaroni. North New Jersey right outside of Manhattan.

Some how gravy became sauce and macaroni became pasta. I get a kick out of the eternal discussion about gravy and sauce. Too funny. Smiley Happy It's sort of a regional thing, but not neccessarily. All in good fun though.